Chapter 11

June returned inside Wigham Hall and saw Ruth with a group of gentlemen, once again smiling and laughing. June grit her teeth and looked around for Lord Graham who was nowhere in sight. She sighed and turned around to find that Lord Graham was standing behind her, a nervous smile on his lips.

"Miss June, I trust you are enjoying yourself," he said, twisting his hands apprehensively.

"Oh yes thank you, it is a most lovely party." She replied, smiling uncertainly.

She felt like she shouldn't trust him after what she had heard. Another part of her felt like she should trust this man completely; they way his sandy eyebrows were furrowed in concentration, the erect way he held his shoulders and the strong scent of firewood and cool air that hovered around him.

"I am so glad." He looked at down and she long to take him in her arms and kiss him right there, in front of everyone.

"Indeed, I have not seen much of Miss O'Connor though."

"How strange," Lord Graham looked at her and she could swear he was blushing. "I, I am sure with so many admirers she must be busy. Though you should know about that. I'll bet you have plenty of admirers."

"Oh you flatter me but I do not."

"I find that hard to believe," he flashed a smile, a glimpse of his usual, confident self which sent shivers down her back.

"I assure you Lord Graham I have as many suitors as England has elephants."

"I see Sir Harkness has been paying attention to you throughout the whole evening." He said and June scoffed until she saw he was serious.

"Sir Harkness is a dear friend, nothing else."

"When you danced it did not look like he was a dear friend."

"What do you mean?"

"He held you more like a lover than anything."

"Lord Graham I am sure I do not know what you mean," June said, suddenly angry; how dare Lord Graham speak about such things when he had been working with Ruth Queensbury of all people to bring her down.?"If you'll excuse me," she curtsied and walked off to where her sister was speaking with several other girls in a corner.

"June," Olivia perked up when June approached and ducked out of the conversation to speak with her. "June dear, is everything all right?"

"I am afraid not." June replied, looking sourly around. 
"Why? What has happened? Is it that abominable Miss Pembroke?"

"If you only knew. I'll tell you at home. Now faint so we can leave?"

"What?'

"Faint so that we can leave here," June said. It was a method they hd used before and Olivia was good at it. She sighed and crumpled to the ground in a faint worthy of the finest stage in London. "Olivia!" June cried, bending down to her sister's side. Many other guests cried out and gathered around as well and June had to stifle a laugh; this was so easy.

"Miss Taylor, can you hear me?" Lord Graham was by her side, fanning her lightly. Her eyelids fluttered and she opened her eyes, blinking owlishly.

"My goodness, where am I?" Olivia asked faintly and June winked at her.

"Water, someone get water," a voice called. There was movement and a few moments later water was handed to Olivia who took a small sip with a murmured thanks.

"Are you alright Miss Taylor?" Lord Graham asked and she nodded.

"I, I think so, thank you. I feel very dizzy through," she said and he helped her up, leading her to the settee.