Chapter 25

The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're right if you love to be with them all the time.

-Julia Child

Theodore entered The Broken Clock and found it to be a small, comfortable sized pub with a fire crackling in a corner and upholstered benches. He ordered an ale and sat in the corner, awaiting Ada's arrival.

  She arrived three minutes past the appointed time and sat across from him, brushing her hair from her face.

"You are Theodore Wilder." It was not a question. "My sister in law is hopelessly in love with you, you know that I assume?"

"I do, and I am just as in love with her."

"Are you? Theodore, I am here because I know June is a good, intelligent and independent girl. She is unlike any girl I've met and she does not deserve the fate other girls of her position have met. She is only seventeen and much too young to be carted off into marriage."

"I agree," he spoke up but she raised a delicate hand.

"I know you do, that is why I am here. I know you love her but I absolutely forbid you to marry her. Yet, anyway," she smiled coyly. "I have a plan you see, and for it to work you must not be married, but must be in love. I shall break the engagement between June and Lord Graham any way I can. Her mother is awful doing this to June. I know for a fact her sister was in love with the son of a lawyer and she was married against her will to a horrid man. I am off topic though. As I was saying, I shall break the betrothal up and when we return to Yorkshire you two shall run away. Not elope, she is too young to marry, but you will take her and help her live. Understand?"
"I do, but this plan is problematic to say the least. She loves her home, she doesn't want to leave it."

"Would you do anything for her?"

"Yes, of course I would."

"If she loves you and if you love her you both must strive to do what is best for her and what will make her happy."

"Your husband would murder me of he ever found us."

"Are you scared of my husband? Is cowardice going to stop you from helping the girl you love?"

"No, of course not, I would do anything for June."
"Brilliant, keep up the Count Kappel act then but for God's sake, be more subtle," she stood up, collected her muff and cloak before leaving the Broken Clock and Theodore who was more impressed by her than by anyone else he'd met.

"I would hate for her and Mary Carlton to fight," he muttered, taking the last swig of his ale.

  He left the pub and slowly walked down Riddle Street, admiring the small shop displays, his brain churning over the information he had just gained.

"Theodore?" He looked up to see his father standing over him, frowning.

"Father? What are you doing here?" He asked, startled.

"I came to pay a few visits. Also, I just met a June Taylor who says she knows you."

"Where did you meet her?"

"On Angel Street of all places, she was very lost."

"Angel Street? I hope you helped her," Angel Street was notorious for its bad reputation.

"I did though I have no idea what a respectable girl like that was doing there. How do you know her?"

"It's a long story, all you need to know is that she's the girl I love so you'd better get used to seeing her."