Chapter 22

For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.

Christina Rossetti

The next day dawned and June awoke, bracing herself for the morning.

Her family were to take the train up to London this morning and it would be a very awkward trip. She got out of bed, ringing the bell for the maid Rebecca. She had been informed that her maid Violet had died three days ago from smallpox. June had always liked the bright, cheerful maid and she was sad to hear of her passing. However, this morning she was more concerned about her own fate.

Rebecca helped her dress and take her cases, the three new dresses sitting in them, bristling with the anticipation of being worn.

When she was dressed and packed June arrived downstairs where the rest of her family sat at the breakfast table. She was greeted by a cold smile from her mother and a weary one from her father. Olivia said nothing but took a sip of her tea. June thought it would be impossible to be any more scornful than her sister was at that moment.

"What time does the train leave?" June asked, sitting down.

"Half past nine," her father replied, pushing the marmalade over. "We're leaving the house in a quarter of an hour so eat quickly."

She did and soon the family was in the carriage, an uncomfortable silence settling around them. June was restless and fidgeted around with the lace cuffs of her dress.

The dress was green. She hated green and the offensive hue was agitating her. She looked out the window at the passing scenery, the snow covered trees and fields, wishing she was anywhere away from this tension. Wishing she was with Theodore.

Was she being ridiculous? This was more than what she felt for Lord Graham, more than she had felt for anyone in fact. He was different, more exciting, kinder and clever than Lord Graham or Lord Hanley. She was sick of the upper class and wished she had the freedom to marry whoever she wanted to. A futile wish perhaps, but oh how she longed to be free.

They met Phillip and Ada at the station, Phillip greeted June with a kiss on the cheek and soon the family was in the first class compartment.

"June," Phillip asked quietly, "have you come to your senses?"
"I was always there, I am refusing to marry Lord Graham because I will not be stuck in a loveless marriage."

"It does not have to be loveless, you will be happy with him. He is a good man."

"He is not! He is a murderer." She spat before she could help it.

"What are you saying?" He asked, shocked.

"He murdered his sister's husband." June said, to annoyed to care what she was saying.

"You mean the farmer's son?"

"Yes, he murdered him because he was jealous."

"Jealous of what?"

"Jealous because Benjamin was in love with an actress and so was Lord Graham."

"You cannot say such things, you do not have proof," Phillip said. "Marcus is a good man and he will take care of you, you must keep those thoughts out of your head."

"How can I Phillip when I know they're true? Mother has arranged a marriage with a murderer."

"You can't think of him as a murderer."