Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY - LILLY'S P.O.V

Aghast. Agitated. Alarmed. Astonished. Befuddled. Confounded. Discommoded. Disconcerted. Disquieted. Dumbfounded. Flabbergasted. Flummoxed. Flustered. Nonplussed. Outraged. Petrified. Stunned. Stupefied. Unnerved. Unsettled.

I could not think of a single word to describe how I was feeling with the ultimatum that I was given. No, it wasn't even the ultimatum that left me thunderstruck.

It was the Adonis's implicit invitation.

God only knows what he meant by "finishing our date at his house". Did he intend for us to converse further? Would assenting to option two allow us to pry into each other's lives even more? Would he divulge parts of his personal life if I agreed to go? Was this his way of allowing me to discover who Daniel Stevens is? Or was I mistakenly thinking of a platonic version of him? Might I find myself shanghaied? Might I find myself to be the dessert that ends this fine night?

My phone suddenly begins ringing again, and I find myself using it as a means of escape as I hold it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Why the hell didn't you tell me that you were going on a date?" Audrey's voice assaults my ear with startling enthusiasm. "Since that's the case, just forget about the sleepover! Don't even bother coming over. You just have lots of fun. And why don't you pop your cherry while you're at it? Just make sure you give me all the details later."

My mouth is agape at her suggestion.

"Seriously, don't you dare show up at my door. I won't let you in."

With that, Audrey abruptly ends the call. My mouth is still agape as the Adonis looks at me curiously.

"Who was that?"

"Audrey."

"What did she say?"

"She..." I look away from him, finding it hard to meet his gaze with Audrey's explicit words loitering in my head. "She told me to have fun... and to not come over."

"Well then." He swiftly slides out of the booth and extends his left hand towards me. "Now that that's settled, let us be on our way. "

"On our way where?" As soon as my fingers make contact with his, he pulls me to him.

"To my house of course."

I remain silent as he hands me my cup of tea and picks up his own. With my fingers wrapped in his, he leads me out of the bakery-slash-cafe and to his car. The temperature has noticeably dropped in the past couple of hours. What was a brisk breeze earlier is now a brumal wind. I don't regret choosing to wear a dress however; I love the feeling of cool air caressing my skin.

"You must be cold in that dress." The Adonis looks at me with concern as soon as we reach his car. He approaches the passenger door and hurriedly pulls out his car keys as if to save me from the November air as soon as possible.

"Not at all." I shake my head. "I love this feeling. It's so relaxing."

I wiggle my fingers, them being the only warm part of my body since they are enclosed around a steaming cup of tea.

"Relaxing? Most people find warmer weather to provide more relaxation."

"Are you one of those people?" I ask, watching as he opens the door for me and hurries to the other side of the car. I hesitantly go inside.

"Yes. I sleep so well when I'm warm."

"That's one preference we don't have in common." When my seat belt clicks I quaff my aromatic beverage while he starts the car. "Weather like this makes me sleepy. I sleep well in a cold room."