Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE - MR. STEVENS' P.O.V

French Maid? Feisty Nun? Fuck. The plethora of thoughts that had riveted and monopolized my mind were damnable; atrocious, horrible, immoral, and just plain sinful. It had been arduous enough to keep any possible fantasy a man might have stowed away in the adumbral abyss of my subconscious, and as if the devil himself was trying to challenge me, the task was only made harder by that damned school girl uniform she wears day by day.

Lilly had me beguiled since the first day of school. Enchanted, I was enchanted the moment those wicked pale blues of hers met mine. Intrigued, I was intrigued the moment I asked her to stand up and she challenged me. And I couldn't seem to help myself after that. I couldn't help but stare at, to observe her, to try and figure out the hot-tempered girl. I just wanted to talk to her, to have her challenge me. It was mere amusement, until I dammit kissed her.

God, my scalp has been aching since the moment she ran out of my room after I kissed her. I've tugged at my hair until the chocolate strands were in my palm. How could I have been so fucking stupid? It was in the heat of the moment; my blood was pumping and adrenaline was coursing through me - I was excited from our verbal brawl. I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I grabbed  her wrist and turned her around, but god I couldn't help myself when those lips like rose petals were on mine. And it was just a kiss, a mere indiscretion.

And if my scalp wasn't prickling after that, it sure was prickling after I told her how much I regretted that kiss. After I told her lies. I knew Iit had to be done but I didn't have to do it so fucking stupidly, telling her that she reminded me of someone and that's why I kissed her.

"... because nothing happened." My subconscious recapitulates her words, mocking me.

Nothing happened. I wish nothing happened because I haven't been able to get her out of my mind since. She's so beautiful, so intelligent, so fiery, and she's my fucking student.

"Fuck." I grumble, picking up my can of soda and tilting my head back. Painful gulps of tepid liquid slide down my throat before the Pepsi can is empty and tossed to the side.

I couldn't help myself either yesterday when my feet had carried me down the hall and in front of the cafeteria doors, my head peaking inside just to get a glimpse of her. I just wanted to see her. And delight swelled through me at the mere sight of her. It wasn't until that boy had his mouth around her fingers that I finally left, disgust rippling through me.

A soft knock is heard at my door and I lift my head, my watch showing that school will officially begin in seven minutes. "Come in!"

"Happy Halloween!" Veronica enters my room with two candy bars in her hand.

"Have you come to give me cavities?" I lean back in my chair, watching her ponytail bounce as she approaches my desk.

"That, and I came to apologize for bailing on dinner." She takes a seat on top of my desk, crossing her long legs as she looks down at me.

"It's fine. I'll take the Snicker." I grab the king sized candy bar from her thin hands, looking at the word on the wrapper before peeling it open and taking a bite. Substancialiscious.

"Why is your hair so disheleved?" She raises a brow as she takes a bite of her Twix. "Have you been tugging at it?"

"It's nothing." I wave my hand dismissively.

"Is something bothering you? You've been off your trolly this past month. Are too many pubescent girls flirting with you?"

"Go eat a crumpet." I simper, knowing that she hates it when I say that.