Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE - LILLY'S P.O.V

"Who is Jesus Christ?" My religious studies teacher asks us the rhetorical question that this whole semester will be about. I don't even bother taking out my notebook as she writes the question onto the board.

"My mom." Some idiot in the back of the class says, causing multiple people to laugh at the moronic joke.

"Blasphemy!" Mrs. Guerrero hisses and looks around the classroom angrily.

"Hear my warnings now, I do not tolerate such blasphemy in my classroom. If I hear any more deragotory remarks from any one you can surely expect ten demerits." She wags her tan finger around and I roll my eyes at her over reaction.

She acts as if someone desecrated something  sancrosanct.

"What are you rolling your eyes at young lady? Do you want demerits?" She puts her hand on her hip, narrowing her brown eyes at me.

"Now that's unfair." I scoff.

"Please elaborate on what's unfair. " She eggs me on, and I can tell by the tone of her voice that she wants me to say something else so she can have a reason to give me demerits.

"I am pretty certain that at least fifty percent of the students in this class rolled their eyes, yet you called me out on it and threatened me with demerits. If you do not think that is being unfair then maybe you should sit down and evaluate your logic." I daringly tell her, not giving a solid shit about this class. I cross my arms over my chest as she looks at me furiously.

"Ooooooooh burn." The same person from earlier hollers, causing every one to laugh and make the whole situation worse.

I'm not surprised when the teacher stomps to her desk, aggressively pulling out a square slip from a drawer and scribbling on it.

Oh boy a demerit.

She walks over to my desk and practically slams the demerit down with a smirk on her face. I look down at the slip of paper, ready to see the price I'll be paying for being a smart mouth.

"Lunch detention?" I squeak as I look at the piece of paper I thought to be a demerit

DETENTION NOTIFICATION

STUDENT RECEIVING DETENTION: Lillian Greene 

DATE: 09/11/13

REASON(S) FOR DETENTION:

_ POLICY VIOLATION  X BEHAVIORAL VIOLATION

COMMENTS:

Lillian is receiving Lunch Detention because she was being distruptive and disrespectful. She rolled her eyes at me before disrupting my class by smart mouthing to me. Lillian also implied that I was being illogical, which I found very insulting.

TEACHER ASSIGNING DETENTION: Mrs. G :)

I stare at the square piece of paper, trying to process the bullshit that's written all over it.

What the actual fuck is this shit? She even put a fucking smiley face next to her signature.

"After you get your lunch I expect to see in my classroom. If you don't show up, then you'll just have detention for the rest of the week." She smirks at me and walks back to the front of the room. "Still think I'm being unfair?"

The other students stay silent, probably too afraid to even make a noise.

My heart pounds as I try to control my frustration and anger. I ball my hands into fists, trying to think of something, anything to subdue my anger. The desire to say something belligerent and acrimonious fills my mind and I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep any malicious words from being said.