Chapter Eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN - LILLY'S P.O.V

"Where do you guys want to go?" Audrey asks as we all climb into her car. The sound of car doors closing came in a consecution of three, followed by the sound of seat belts clicking.

"There isn't much in Sherman Oaks." I drum my fingers on the black interior, feeling the adamant leatherette below my fingertips. "We can go to Woodland Hills."

"Or we can go to Hollywood." Brit suggests, looking diminutive in the passenger seat next to Audrey's more altitudinous physique.

"I know, let's go to the Beverly Center." Audrey grins as she turns the key in the ignition, the engine purring as we reverse out of her driveway.

"God that place is enormous. But I'm sure we'll find a conglomeration of costumes there." I pull out my phone to see that it's only one in the afternoon. "What time did your parents say you had to be home?"

"They want me home by three so that I can pick up my sister by four." Audrey looks over her shoulder after she turns on her blinkers, trying to cross over into another lane. "But it only takes half an hour to get to the Los Angeles International Airport so I won't go home until three thirty."

"Tell Aubrey I said hello." I smile as I think of Audrey's equivocally mentally strange older sister.

"You can say hello in person. She's going to be staying for quite a few weeks." Audrey takes a cautious peek at me through the rear-view-mirror as I nod my head. "Speaking of sisters..."

A frown tugs at my lips at the implicit question of my sister. "After my sister called my parents three weeks ago to tell them that she wasn't coming to visit anymore, we haven't heard from her."

"Do you think she's okay?"

"I hope so." I whisper, ignoring the dull lancination in my chest. I tilt my head to the side as we perdure down the dismal and dilapidated streets of the overrated Los Angeles. Redemption lays within the trees that litter some areas; evergreens standing divergent from the trees besmirched with the Fall weather. Beautiful medleys of green, yellow, orange, red, and brown float where ever the October breeze carries them.

"How much money did you guys bring?" Brit asks after a few minutes of reticence, changing the topic of conversation to which I'm thankful for. "My parents gave me fifty dollars."

"I have fifty dollars too." Audrey takes one hand off of the steering wheel to give Brit a high five.

"My parents gave me one hundred and fifty dollars." I open my blue wallet and look at the green faces of Benjamin Franklin and Ulysses S. Grant.

"Do your parents realize that most costumes are cheap and cost less than fifty dollars?" Brit asks with jocosity laced in her question.

"They do, which is why they gave me an extraneous amount of money." I shake my head as I put my wallet back into the pocket of my knit cardigan. "You know, they weren't even going to let me go at first. But as soon as I mentioned that the party is being hosted by the Anderson's son they told me to get the best costume I could find."

"And that's exactly what we're going to do today, find the best costumes we can." Audrey's face holds mischevious contortion as we approach the most grandiose shopping center in all of Los Angeles; the Beverly Center.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

"This doesn't show enough skin." Audrey frowns at the pirate costume in her hands. She sighs before placing it back on the rack where a dozen others hang. "It was so cute, but oh well. I guess I'll just have to keep looking."