A Note From Someone Special

Sunday, January 6th, 1996

Draco had spent a very awkward Christmas at the Malfoy manor.  And lets just say his father didn't exactly roll out the welcome matt. On Christmas eve a huge fight had broke out between him and his father, resulting in his mothers tears.  They had been arguing about the usual, and thanks to the lack of guests that year, his father certainly didn't hold back from tearing a mick out of him. Draco loved his mother dearly, so seeing her cry had been enough for him to hold his tongue for the rest of the night. But as for the next two weeks... well that was an entirely different story.

"Why isn't it done yet?" his father would snap at him over breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea, and whenever he felt like it in between. As if Draco would be able to preform the from home and give him a different answer the next time that he asked.

"Haven't found the time." Draco would mutter in answer. He was so frustrated that he didn't even know what to do with himself. He wanted to knock his father a good one, throw a couple of hexes at him. The only thing that stopped him was his white haired mother who sat not to far away. Draco could see her heart breaking in her eyes, and deep down Draco knew, that as prejudiced as she was, she had never wanted this life. Yes, his mother had never wanted to join to dark war, or rid the world of mudbloods. Sure, she didn't really like them, but she didn't see why they couldn't learn magic.

Draco knew that every day Lucius broke her hear. Every single day she shattered on the inside because of her husbands actions, because of the type of man that her husband was forcing her son to become.

She had never wanted the life for Draco either, and Draco faintly remembered her telling him so as a child, telling him that she wanted to run away with him, to protect him from his horrid family, and their beliefs, but she would never. Deep down, she loved Lucius too much to ever leave him, and she knew what being a death eater meant to him, and when you love someone that much, you are willing to go through hell in order to keep them happy.

So she put up with the killing, the murdering, the torturing, and worst of all, the arguing, and the way that a line was being drawn in the sand between the love of her life, and her beloved son.

"What do you mean, you haven't found the time? we told you that this was your main priority! even over your school work!" His father would yell, not realising that next to him, a crack would open in the heart of Narcissa Malfoy, the love of his life.

"Lucious! I don't want you arguing with Draco one the only weeks that he will be home out of the year!" Narcissa would cry. Trying desperately to keep the peace between the two. But of course she would always take Draco's side, because a mother, always loves their sons the most in the world, and would do anything to protect them, and make them happy.

But honestly the fighting didn't make that great of a difference. Christmas had never been much of a warm occasion as the Malfoy's. Even When Draco was just a child, his family would come over, and everyone would fight, and insult Mudbloods. Draco would hang onto their every words, wanting one day, to grow up to be like his family, well, maybe except his aunt Bellatrix, she had always made him fell uneasy.

Draco was now back at school. sitting in an armchair in his common room, staring into the fire that he had started because he was the first one back. taking the train back to Hogwarts after Christmas had never really been his style, so he had used the floo network to get to hogsmade , and the walked with his hands in his pockets to get back to the castle. He had only just arrived a few hours earlier, finding a nearly empty common room. Most of the other Slytherins took the train back to Hogwarts, Draco, preferring the floo network, arrived much before them.

Class would resume again the next day, and Draco was not looking forward to the early mornings, and the new mountain of homework that would be assigned. He looked across the large, green tinged room. The room always looked green because of the lake over top of it. You could see the water above them, only a think barrier of magic to keep it from falling on top of them, and flooding them up to their necks. At first, the ceiling had unnerved Draco, but now, it hardly bothered him at all. Well, it did make it impossible to get warm in the winter, when the water was freezing ice.