Keeping me waiting

April 1st, 1996, Monday

Hermione sighed, he usually kept her waiting. Before, Draco had been the one who would show up a half an hour early, but slowly it slipped away into him being 45 minutes late.

Hermione was not a patient person. His tardiness had slowly started to progress since that night Ron had been poisoned in march. She was not an ignorant person, she did find the connection rather suspicious.

She sighed again, defeated. She was just getting up to leave, when Draco burst through the doors, gasping for breathe.

Hermione turned away from the scene. When his breathing finally subdued, he approached her, as he reached for her, Hermione pulled away. 

He sighed "What is it?"

"I have been waiting all night for you." She stated.

He sighed once again. "I'm sorry"

Hermione scoffed, it was the same thing every time.

"I truly am!" Draco pleaded. "Snape has got me doing extra work and..." He stopped when he saw the look on Hermione's face.

She looked away. "I can tell when you are lying to me. Why cant you just tell me the truth?"

"I told you... Its family business, a confidential matter." He said. "Plus, you wouldn't understand."

"Then explain it to me, help me understand." His doubt in her annoyed Hermione.

"I can't," Whispered Draco.

"Why not?" Hermione demanded.

"Because, if I told you, you would never speak to me again." He said with his voice slightly raised.

He turned his head away when he saw Hermione flinch. Under his breathe he muttered.

"I am going to lose you either way."

She cautiously approached him. "You're not going to lose me," She said in a soothing voice.

Draco turned around and looked into her eyes, searching for the truth.

That's when Hermione said something that had been on her mind for the past 2 months.

"Draco... Do you bare the dark mark?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

He stiffened at that, but did not panic, he took a step back, searching her face and asked,

"What do you think?"

"I don't know... Harry and Ron say that you do, but I want to hear it coming from you." She replied "May I look?" she asked.

Draco nodded. She was going to see it eventually. She reached for Draco's right arm, and gently raised his sleeve, exposing the pale skin of his fore arm; relief spread across her face.

She closed her eyes for a few moments, them opened them again.

"have you spoken to your father?" She asked.

Draco shook his head. "I guess you and Weasley made up."

She nodded.

They stood in silence.

She walked forward and kissed him, deeply. Her gesture shocked him, he had thought her mad at him.

She pulled away and whispered "Don't make me wait again." he didn't nod, he didn't do anything. He just watched her turn on her heel, and walk out of the tower.

*                                                                                *                                                                           *

Don't get Draco wrong, He didn't like lying to Hermione, but her could not help but think that what his girlfriend didn't know, wouldn't kill her. But the things that she didn't know, where beginning to outway the things that she did.

Draco contemplated this in the room of requirement.

The only thing that Draco was sure  of was that he couldn't lose Hermione. She was the only person in the wold (Except his mother) who actually gave a damn about him. SHe was the only thing that tied him to Hogwarts. If she wasn't there, he would most likely be with his parents, plotting a way to kill Dumbledore from a distance.

And as much as Draco hated to admit it, He gave a damn about her as well. Draco could count the people he actually cared for on his right hand, and Hermione was on the list.

A jab of guilt grabbed at his stomach. Would she ever forgive him after this was all over. After he killed the headmaster at Hogwarts, and Voldemort killed Harry Potter?

No, She wouldn't.

How was he going to do this? His time was running short, and all he had managed to do was injure two of his peers. He had not so much as moved a hair on Dumblerdore's grey head.

Draco thought of more strategies until the sun began to creep out from behind the hills around Hogwarts.  

He gave up, and retired to bed before anyone found him missing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a jolt, Hermione realized that she hadn't checked both of his arms. She sat up in bed and began to shake violently, so afraid of what laid underneath the sleeve of his left arm. How much does he tell her?

How could she betray Harry like this? Draco was most likely working for Voldemort.

Hermione's stomach lurched when she remembered that Harry had no clue about her and Draco's relationship.

What was she doing?

She thought of Draco, and remembered the affection that she had for him. All of her guilt flew away. Draco was the first boy to treat her the way that he did. Krum had treated her like a delicate flower. Draco treated her like something exotic, strong, and wild, something desired and precious. He makes her feel strong. Doesn't she deserve that? Was the risk worth it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I like this chapter

there is trouble in paradise!

vote, comment, and follow!