After

May 9th 1997

Hermione watched Crookshanks tail snake through the air as he paced back and forth on the bed. She stroked the cat affectionately, it had been nearly a year since she had last seen him. All that time he had been staying with Molly at the Burrow.

She looked down to the foot of the bed where Ron sat crossed legged, staring into his lap, and occasionally glancing across the room to where Harry sat on the other bed, staring out the window.

It has been two days since the battle. Her and Harry are staying with the Weasleys, since Harry has nowhere else to turn, and Hermione's parents are still in Australia.

Everyone around the Burrow is heavily feeling the loss of Fred. George hasn't left his room yet, and Molly hasn't said much in the past two days.

All Three turned their heads to the door when they heard it crack open. Ginny came in, and sat down next to Harry.

"So, are you guys going back?" She asked. "To Hogwarts, I mean."

"I think that I am." Said Hermione, I would like to finish my education, it's only one year after all."

After the battle, Kingsley Shacklebolt approached them. He had offered Harry, Ron, and Hermione positions in the aurors off ice at the ministry.

"I don't think I will." Said Ron. "I mean, in school I wanted to be an auror, and now that the position is mine, It would be pointless to go back."

"I'm with Ron on that one." Said Harry. "I'm going to take Shacklebolt up on his offer"

Hermione nodded, she was sad that Harry and Ron wouldn't be going back with her. She has never known a Hogwarts without the two of them. But the thought of not going back for her last year was unbearable.

"We will be in the same year." Smirked Ginny.

"Seems so." Sighed Hermione. She allowed her thought to wander over to Draco. He, and his mother, had left right after the battle. She hadn't gotten to speak to him.

She wondered if he had gone to Hogwarts last year, and if he would be there in the first day back.

--------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

Draco watched the sun set form the balcony in his room. He breathed in the cool spring evening, and thought of his father. After the battle, Lucius had been arrested, and taken to Azkaban. So, now only Draco, and his mother inhabit the Manor.

He turned around, and headed back inside. An inviting fire crackled in his room, but Draco didn't feel much like sitting.

He pushed through the double doors to his room, and walked down the corridors that lead to the sitting room his mother hadn't left since his father's arrest.

As much as Narcissa didn't like to admit it, Lucius's arrest had broken her heart.

Draco found her sitting in front of a dying flame. He tended to the fire, the stood.

"Last year, around Christmas, I met someone."

Narcissa looked up at him, without emotion on her face.

"I'm only telling you think because it doesn't matter anymore." Draco continued. "Last year I was up in the astronomy tower one night. I was upset, she came up the steps. He had fought for years, but she comforted me. We kept running into each other, until eventually, we became friends, but we kept it all a secret.

"I didn't think that I would, but I started to fall for her. She is beautiful, smart, kind, and she has the craziest hair that you will ever see. We has to keep us a secret because she is a muggleborn... But it doesn't matter anymore." 

Narcissa continued to watch him, the she spoke. "It's that Granger girl isn't it? I could tell that you felt something for her by the way that you acted when my sister used the cruciatus curse on her."

Both looked into the fire, it was a while before either spoke.

"I'm going back," said Draco. "I want to finish my seventh year. Shacklebolt offered me a spot."

"I figured as much." said his mother. "Very well. I will inform the school of your decision."

---------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------