Chapter 16: As Time Passes By

I woke up to the scent of blood and smoke. I don't know how long I was out, but I knew what going on; InuYasha had attacked the village. I looked around while I got up off the ground. Lady Kikyo was gone, but she left a blood trail. I knew where she was going without even following the trail, because I knew as well as she: InuYasha had to be stopped before he did anymore harm. I took off running, in the direction InuYasha and Lady Kikyo's scents. Right as I reached Lady Kikyo, she fired a Sacred Arrow that pierced InuYasha, fixing him to the Sacred Tree. She had used a sealing arrow, but why? I watched as InuYasha stuttered out a few words before he fell into an eternal sleep. Lady Kikyo knelt down and picked up the Jewel from its place on the ground. Her final wish was for Kaede to burn the Sacred Jewel with her body so it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. We carried out her wishes that evening. Lady Kikyo along with the Jewel entered the nether world. Afterward the flame and smoke had died, I returned to the Sacred Tree. I stared up at InuYasha and tears began to fall. "Why did you do this!? Neither of you deserved this!" I screamed at him even though I knew he couldn't hear me. "If you were going to steal the Sacred Jewel, why didn't you do it before?! You're such a coward!" I continued to scream at him until my vision was blocked by tears. I sat down and continued to cry, so many mixed emotions were released with my tears; anger, sadness, confusion, and hatred. By the time my tears subsided, it was almost sunset. I decided to return to Lady Kikyo's hut to check on Kaede, because I know it was hard on her too. When I entered the village, everyone was standing outside the hut.

"What's going on?" I asked. "We want you gone." A villager stated, coldly. "You and your kind caused the damage that has been done." Another yelled. "You need to leave, Kaya." Kaede said, sadness evident in her voice. "Get her!" A villager in the back yelled. I took off running towards the forest. I ran and ran until I reached the Dry Well. I looked inside seeing the bones of a demon at the bottom. "There's no where else for you to run, half-breed!" I turned around and felt an arrow pierce my shoulder causing me to fall into the well. I closed my eyes and screamed. When I didn't hit the bottom of the well, I opened my eyes to find I was floating in some kind of energy. That's when my necklace began to glow, and I felt myself change. Only this time was different, my memory started to disappear along with demonic powers.

I left the blue glow and landed in pitch darkness. I tried to figure out where I was but had a hard time of it. I decided to try and jump out of the darkness, but when I did, I hit my head on something. I tried it again and again until I finally got out. When I was finally out, I saw light coming in through the wall of a large hut with a well in the center. I looked around, not sure of where I was or even how I got into the sealed well. After looking around a moment, I realized something liquid was falling down my arm. I examined it, noticing an arrow stuck out of my shoulder. How did that get there? I did what I thought was a good idea, I pulled it out, but only flinched. I dropped the arrow into the well and heard it hit the bottom. I turned and walked up the steps toward the door, opening it to peer out. When I saw no one was there, I opened the door fully, stepped out and closed the door again. That's when I started running and didn't stop until I reached the end of another set of long stairs. People were walking by and muttering. I started walking, not sure where I was going, just looking around at all of the people. I noticed things about them their stares and muttering seemed familiar somehow. One thing I didn't notice was the person I walked into. I looked up at the person, it was a woman with dark hair and light brown eyes, she was looking at me with concern. "Are you hurt?" The woman asked. I nodded. "Where are your parents?" she asked. "I-I don't know." I stammered, close to tears. "Well, until we find them. Why don't we get you cleaned up, okay?" she asked, sweetly. I nodded. "What's you name? Mine is Amaya." "Kaya, I think." I replied, unsure. "Alright, Kaya, let's go." She said, giving me a reassuring smile. I nodded and we began to walk away from the stairs toward the setting sun.