Chapter 56: Getting Things Straight, Sort Of

Four days of traveling have gotten me nowhere except lost. I had decided to rest under a tree to try and figure out where I was. That is until I heard the sound of a cow, which confused me. When I stood up to check it out, I had to jump out the way to keep from being crushed. "Kaya, it's good I found you," Totosai stated. "You almost crushed me!" I yelled. He got down off his cow before speaking again. "Myoga informed me that you have learned a new technique." I looked at him confused. "M'lady, he's talking about the one you used at that strange village," Myoga stated from Totosai's shoulder. "Oh, that. I didn't even know what it was. It was an instinct thing," I informed them. "You mean you used it without knowing how to?" Totosai questioned. "Yeah, I knew I had to get the battle over quickly because I was starting to feel the effects of her poison," I explained. Totosai just nodded in response. "Do you have something to tell me or not? I'm getting tired of people beating around the bush," I told them. "Do you know the story of the Battle with the Panther Demons?" Myoga asked. "Most of it, why?" I stated, hesitantly. "Well, the technique you used against that demon is the same technique you're Father used to assist Inu No Taisho all those years ago," Myoga explained. "That means what exactly?" I questioned. "Your father used that technique to protect the demons, Inu No Taisho later freed when he killed the Master of the Panther Demons. So, it can only be used for the protection of others," Totosai finished. "So, you're saying my summoning the technique was a fluke," I stated. "Essentially, yes," Myoga stated. I sighed. "Thanks for the wonderful news. It's not helping my situation here." Shortly after that, Master Totosai left, leaving Myoga with me. After some traveling in silence, Myoga spoke. "Why are you no longer traveling with Master InuYasha? He could be of great help to you against that demon." "I don't need InuYasha's help. I can handle this on my own. Besides, I don't need him trying to take all the glory." It sounded harsher than I wanted it to. The truth was that I was worried about that dream I had after my fight with that female demon. I didn't want him or anyone else to get injured or worse. This fight was mine and mine alone.

Myoga and I stopped in a clearing in the forest for the night. He had been strangely quiet since our conversation about InuYasha. "Myoga, you're never this quiet. Unless you're hiding that is." "I can see you have a lot on your mind. You've been mumbling to yourself all day." Myoga informed me. "Wow, that's weird. Hey, Myoga, can I ask you something?" I asked. "Of course, what is it?" the old flea replied. "Do you know anything about Lady Kikyo?" I questioned. I felt him jump from my shoulder, so I grabbed him out of the air. "Myoga, if you know something I'd like to know," I told him while squeezing the flea slightly. "M'lady, Lady Kikyo has been back for several months. Her and Master InuYasha have been reconnecting." It took me a moment to understand what he was saying. Now I know what Shippo meant about InuYasha being a two-timer. "Thanks, Myoga," I said as I released my grip on him. I leaned against the tree we were sitting under letting sleep take me.

Myoga and I have been traveling for several weeks now. I had heard rumors of a monk essentially terrorizing several villages in the area, so I decided to check it out. One of the villages I visited gave me a description of the monk, and their description sounded strangely like Miroku. Something told me this wasn't going to end well. When I caught InuYasha's scent entering the village I was currently at, I raced to find him; only to be confronted by a mob of villagers surrounding the group. "What's going on here?" I asked from the back of the mob. "Priestess, this is the monk." One of the elders stated. I walked to the front of the crowd. "Miroku, what did you get yourself into?" I asked. "I'm not sure myself," Miroku replied. "The villagers are saying he was here a couple of days ago. They're saying he sold them fake protection charms and flirted with their women." Kagome explained. "He was with you all, wasn't he?" I asked. InuYasha gave me a 'well, duh' look. "Sir, I would like you to untie this monk. He is not your culprit." I commanded. The villagers hesitantly did as I commanded and I walked to Miroku. "Do you have an idea of who is responsible for what happened?" "Yes, I think I do," Miroku replied. Soon the crowd disbanded, and I was free to talk with InuYasha's group. Miroku and Sango had been staring since I walked up to them. "Yes, I'm human. No, it's not my time of vulnerability. I wish you all luck because the rest is up to you," I stated before handing Kagome the Jewel Shard I had collected and walked out of the village.