Chapter 55: Kikyo

I had been traveling for several days on my own, with no luck on Naraku or the female demon. As night began to fall, I caught Naraku's scent very close by. I took off after it so I wouldn't lose it, he wasn't getting away from me. That is until its demonic aura disappeared and a sense of purity replaced it. I kept running anyway but decided to change myself into a human so whoever purified the demon didn't try to do it to me. Soon, I reached the steps of an abandoned temple and drew my bow because the demon's scent was still around along with that of a human and graveyard soil? That's a new one. I walked up the steps to find no one around so I explored a bit until I found the back of the temple. There in the rain, under a lone tree, an old man lay against it. I could tell from my place at the doorway he was dead. My only problem was that the smell of graveyard soil was starting to fade, which didn't make sense. I put my bow away and decided to bury the man under the tree before moving on to follow the scent of soil.

Around daybreak, I got dangerously close to the source of the scent. It appeared to be priestess, but she didn't smell human. The villagers she was talking to didn't seem to notice though. I didn't want to get too close because I saw what she had done to that demon last night, and didn't want to be next, so I couldn't quite hear their conversation. Once the priestess moved on, I followed her but stayed in the trees. "I know you're there." The priestess stated. Her voice sounded familiar. I heard her draw her bow, so I jumped down from my place in the trees. When I walked towards her, I knew why her voice sounded familiar. There standing in the sunlight was Lady Kikyo. "Lady Kikyo?" I questioned. "Who are you?" She demanded; her bow still pointed in my direction. I changed myself back into my half-demon form and she lowered her bow slightly. "My name is Kaya. Is your name Kikyo or not?" I asked. "Why are you following me?" She inquired. "I followed your scent and wanted to know why you reek of graveyard soil," I stated. "You're not here for this Jewel Shard, then." She questioned. "Why on earth would I want that? It only brings suffering to those who possess it," I informed her. She looked almost surprised by my answer. "Kaya, you're a half-demon, correct?" She asked. "Yeah, so?" I questioned. "You're also half priestess." She stated. "If you have something to say then say it." I was becoming irritated now. "Are you the Kaya who lived with me 50 years ago?" Kikyo inquired. "So, you remember me," I stated. She put her bow away, before walking away. I just watched her leave. To be honest, I was too stunned to do anything. How long had she been back? Why didn't InuYasha say anything that night by the sacred tree? I guess things can only get worse from here.

I hated not being able to focus on anything. A demon could attack me at any moment and here I was trying to sort through all the information I had just acquired. The only part of the conversation I had heard between Lady Kikyo and those villagers was a start for where Naraku might be. What better place to hide a demonic aura except behind a spiritual one. Although, for him to do that he'd have to be close to the mountain and if it's as pure as people are saying he'd be purified instantly. Maybe I should take a journey to this Mt. Hakurei and check it out. It makes me wonder if I should've followed Lady Kikyo, then again with that female demon still breathing I can't put her in danger either. It's weird to think that when I was working for Naraku everything was less complicated. A demonic aura brought me out of my thoughts. When it emerged from the bushes, I fired an arrow causing it to disintegrate. As it did I saw something hit the ground. I picked it up and realized it was a shard of the Shikon Jewel. It looks like I may have to return to InuYasha's group soon. Until then, I'm going to follow the path Lady Kikyo had followed earlier that day. I needed to see this Mt. Hakurei for myself.