Chapter 81: An Old Friend

Several days had passed since finding out about the border between this world and the next. InuYasha had been unusually spaced out and quiet since then. We had stopped for the night near a hot spring, the first one in a while, might I add. Sango, Kagome, and I were bathing first. I had moved away from the other two with my back to them because I had heard a noise and wanted to make sure the boys weren't spying on us. When I returned, the girls were staring at me with unreadable expressions. "What's wrong, did something happen while I was gone?" I asked with concern. "No, Kaya, there's a scar on your back in the shape of a dragon," Kagome told me hesitantly. "A dragon?" I asked in confusion. The girls nodded in unison and I moved my hand to feel my back. The scar stretched from just below my right shoulder to the center of my left hip. My thoughts fell to Ko, then I thought back to when I had turned demon and InuYasha's mention of poison. I had killed her, hadn't I? "Kaya, do you know what caused the scar?" Sango questioned. I shook my head, "no, because the only dragon I know of is dead." "How do you know that?" Kagome asked. "The demon I fought on Mt. Hakurei; she was a dragon. I killed her by purifying her Sacred Jewel Shard," I informed them. None of us said anything after that and shortly after we got out so the boys could bathe, as well. As the three of us were sitting by the fire, I heard a rustle nearby and asked Sango to stay with Kagome while I checked it out. I grabbed my bow and left. As I walked through the forest, I heard a rustle to my right. "Show yourself," I commanded with my bow drawn. Nothing, then another rustle, much closer this time, so I shot an arrow but all it did was hit a tree. Right about now I was seriously regretting not waiting for InuYasha, even if I was a priestess, I was human for tonight. I was vulnerable and there was no way I'd be able to survive a demon attack, especially not the demon that was nearby. I drew my bow again, "that was a warning. Next time, I will not miss. Now, show yourself!" There was no movement from me or the demon, but I could feel his demonic aura and knew he was dangerously close now. "Lady Kimiko, put down your bow, please, and I will come out," The demon stated. "How do you know my mother?" I asked the demon. The demon stepped out from behind the tree next to me and I recognized him immediately. "General Taro?" "Lady Kaya, I'm sorry, you look very much like your mother. Are you human, tonight?" He sounded concerned yet relieved. "It's alright. Yes, I am. Now, I need to get back before my friends come looking for me," I stated. "You shouldn't be wandering around on your own. And your friends, are they humans?" Taro questioned. "Some of them. Now, I need to go. Come on," I told him. "Of course, lead the way, M'lady."

When we arrived back at camp, InuYasha was furious. "You went off on your own?!" InuYasha yelled. "I'm not helpless, you know. Besides, since when do you care what I do?" I shot back. InuYasha just growled in response before sitting down next to Kagome with a huff. "Now, if you're done, I'd like to introduce you all to General Taro. He was a friend of my father's," I told the group. "Your friends are humans, a fox child, and a half-demon," Taro stated. "Is that a problem?" InuYasha growled. "No, I'm pleased. Lady Kaya had a problem finding friends as a child. It is especially wonderful that one of her friends is the son of the Great Dog General." Taro was trying to keep InuYasha at bay and it seemed like he was doing a pretty good job. The group had an interesting conversation with everyone but InuYasha. Every time I had glanced in InuYasha's direction, I could see he was glaring at Taro, but I didn't understand why. Even though General Taro had been my Father's second in command, he wasn't a particularly strong demon. Granted, he could kill a human if he wanted to, but he wouldn't. The reason he had joined Father's army in the first place was that my father had no problem with demons being with humans. As the moon got higher in the sky, Kagome, Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kiara went to sleep, leaving InuYasha, Taro, and I as the only ones awake. "M'lady, you should get some rest, as well," Taro said. I shook my head, "I don't sleep on nights like this." "Why not?" Taro questioned. "Because on nights like these all half-demons fear for their lives. So, what are you really doing here?" InuYasha questioned. "You are a lot smarter than I thought you were. I am here to bring her home because we need her help," Taro explained. "What do you mean 'bring me home'? There's nothing there but a damaged palace. The village had been utterly destroyed," I stated. "It has been rebuilt in the last 50 years, M'lady. The new ruler is a cruel and powerful demon who despises humans. He allows his guards to do as they please, in every way. We need you to take your place as ruler of the East, like your father intended," Taro explained. "Okay, I'll kill the demon but I'm not taking that position, at least not right now. I'm kind of on a mission at the moment," I told him. "Thank you, M'lady. We are in your debt," Taro said with a slight bow. Shortly after that, Taro fell asleep, leaving InuYasha and I awake. "You know this could be a trap, right?" InuYasha was right, this could very well be a trap, but I to take that chance. "I'm aware of the risks, besides it's not like you care what happens to me," I told him. He gave me the same look he had the first time we met, "just don't get yourself killed. Kagome would be upset if something happened to you." "Okay, I promise I'll come back after it's over. I just need you to take care of our friends, okay?" I stated. He nodded in response. Not too long after that, the sun rose, and I returned to normal. When everyone woke up, I said my good-byes and left; with Taro leading the way back to my home in the East.