Chapter 54: On My Own, Again

Following the demon's trail was the easy part, that is until its discarded hair began to attack. Miroku sent InuYasha after Kagome while we took care of the hair. It didn't take long, so we took off again. We caught up just in time to watch InuYasha and Koga start arguing again. Then Koga lunged at the demon, punching it and splitting it in half. I was amazed. Koga asked if the demon knew where Naraku was, but all the demon told us what he was somewhere no one could touch him. That wasn't very helpful, but it was something at least. When Koga went to punch the demon again, it bit his arm. Ayame, a female wolf demon, jumped into the fight stabbing the demon with her hairpin and dispelled its demonic aura. A moment later, the demon opened its mouth and devoured both Koga and Ayame. None of us could do anything but watch. When the demon exploded, I was shocked to see Koga standing as if he had just kicked something. I never actually realized how strong Koga was until that moment. It didn't take long for Koga and InuYasha to start arguing again. I understand they don't like each other, but this just ridiculous. I stood with the others listening to Kagome and Koga's conversation, but the conversation between Sango, Miroku, and Shippo piqued my interest. What did Shippo mean when he was talking about InuYasha being a two-timer. As far as I know, the only other woman he loved was Lady Kikyo, but she's dead. I'd have to ask about it later when I wasn't listening to Koga try and get out marrying this Ayame girl. It was fun to watch. Shortly after Ayame left, InuYasha tried to attack Koga to get his Jewel Shards, but Koga was too fast for him. After a few parting words, Koga left leaving us alone. What happened next surprised me, InuYasha was using his head for once. He had figured out as much as I had, meaning he was also trying to figure out where Naraku had gone. I think it might be time for me to go solo again and catch up with them after I track Naraku and that female demon from the Village of Half-Demons.

"What do you mean you're leaving?" InuYasha demanded as we walked. "I think it would be easier to track Naraku down, is all. If you have more people searching, the odds of finding him would be better," I explained. "It's just suspicious, you join us for a couple of weeks until we find a demon discarded by Naraku and you decide to leave," InuYasha stated. I knew this is how it would go. "Look, I know you don't trust me, but I need to do this," I argued. "Why? Something is going on that you haven't told us, isn't there?" InuYasha questioned. "Fine, yes, but it's none of your concern. Besides if I stay it's just going to put all of you in danger." I gasped. That's something I didn't want to let slip. "What's that supposed to mean?" InuYasha inquired, irritation lacing his voice. "It doesn't matter. I'll catch up to you all later." I stated before taking off at full speed. I stopped about nightfall. It was weird being alone again, the silence was almost deafening. While leaning against a tree I began to try and piece together what the demon had said. As far as I know, there's nowhere that can hide such a strong demonic aura. Besides with as injured as Naraku was when he disappeared he would need a lot of demons to repair himself, yet there were no signs of large amounts of demons moving about. Then I had to think about that female demon from a couple of days ago. Why would she attack the Village? I audibly growled in frustration. Things are getting more complicated by the minute. After several minutes of getting nowhere, I closed my eyes hoping to get some sleep.