Chapter 5

{rewritten/edited}

i've been bruised and i've been broken.

can't believe that i have put up with all this pain.

i've been used and i was choking on the promise

i would never fall again

___

As soon as I had arrived home, I rushed upstairs and took a long shower. After showering came the hard part which was finding out something to wear. I stood in front of my closet debating on what I thought would look good for a first date, something I hadn't done in a long time. I ended up picking a black dress that ended a little above my knees. It was a bit on the chillier side tonight so I paired the simple dress with my jean jacket and new black booties I had bought earlier today. I quickly blow dried my hair and curled some of the pieces to give me a natural wavy hair look. I decided to go light on makeup with only a bit of concealer, some eyeliner, and mascara. Once I looked decent enough, I grabbed my black cross body and put my wallet and phone into it.

When I was certain I had everything I needed, I went downstairs and into the kitchen where my grandma and mom were at. My mom turned and smiled brightly at me. "You looked beautiful tonight," My mom said, putting the spoon down that she was using to stir the pot on the stove. "Where are you going?"

I sat on one of the stools at the island and stole a piece of chocolate chip cookie from the plate my grandma had. "I'm going out to dinner tonight with someone I met in town."

My mom raised one eyebrow and gave me a suggestive look. She knew how hard this was for me but I knew she was very excited to see me getting back out into the dating world again. Trusting another man again was going to be hard but my therapist told me that I needed to overcome my fears and that not every man was going to hurt me. "Honey, this is great! I'm so happy you are making friends and going out."

I smiled and before I could respond, the doorbell rang. I puled my phone out of my bag and saw Chance had texted me fifteen minutes ago saying he was on his way. I grabbed my things and started walking to the door, "That must be him."

I saw my dad look at my mom from the kitchen table and mouth the word 'him.' She gave him a small knowing smile. My mom followed me to the door and when I opened it, she took a deep breath. Did she also know Chance? He made it sound like he only knew my grandparents. My parents hadn't been back to Black Wolves County in a long time, possibly the same amount as me.

"What's wrong?" I said, confused as to why she was so shocked to see Chance at the door. She must've known him too.

My grandma came out from the kitchen and looked nervous. Why would she be nervous about someone she already knew? Chance made it sound like his family and my family were friends. "How do you know Chance?" My grandma asked.

"We met at the market the other day and I saw him again today at the store when I was in town. He asked me out to dinner. He said he knew you guys which is why I agreed to going out with him tonight."

My mom didn't say anything but my grandma did nod her head, agreeing with what I was saying. "Yes, we do know him. It is just a surprise that you met him."

"Why would it be a surprise? Is there a problem?" I asked, getting a little frustrated with my family. I also felt sort of bad because Chance was still standing on my porch, not saying a word. He probably regrets asking me out to dinner and thinks my family is probably crazy. But if he truly did know them, maybe he thought this behavior was normal for them.