chapter 3 - The Replacement

Xander was looking for a new place to get out of the basement.

Willow, Anya, Xander, Buffy, Riley and I walked into the nice modern apartment building surrounded by bushes and grass, walking through the hallway.

Anya had her arm in a sling.

"If you get the apartment, this'll be your hallway," Willow told him. "We'll walk down this hall, and we'll say, 'La la, I'm on my way to Xander's'."

"Just warning you, Xander, I probably won't be doing that," I told him.

"Really?" Riley asked. "I will."

"Hey, we're just looking," Xander told us. "Rent's way high, so don't get your hopes all carbonated."

"But you have references," Anya told him.

"No, I have Albert, which is me doing an important voice," Xander told us. He did his important voice impression. "Xander Harris? An excellent tenant. And a very nice-looking fellow'."

Anya opened the door.

We walked into the apartment.

It was large, spacious, and very good-looking, with many windows.

"Whoa," Willow told us. "Big."

"It's nice," Buffy told us. "And not subterranean. It's very, uh, above-terranean."

Anya turned to face Xander. "I want it. Pay anything."

A real estate woman walked in. "Xander Harris?"

The woman looked at Riley, smiling.

"Uh, no, Riley Finn," Riley answered, shaking her hand. "This is Xander."

Xander stepped closer, wiping his hand on his shirt, offering it to the woman. "Hey." They shook hands. "I brought my friends."

"I see," the woman told him.

"They wouldn't always be around," Xander told her.

"But we're clean and--and quiet," Willow told he.

Xander looked nervous.

The woman looked uncertain.

Anya gestured around. "We can have the Scooby meetings in the living room, and--and Giles ca explain the boring things over there."

I walked toward the kitchen. "Oh. There's a microwave. It would be like having hot and cold running popcorn."

"Phone and electricity are hooked up," the woman told us. "There's a private balcony, ceiling fan, closet space..." Xander walked toward a door. "And that's the bedroom."

Xander opened the door to reveal Buffy and Riley sitting on the bed and kissing. "Guys, you can't save it for the bedroom?" Buffy and Riley looked around the bedroom. "Okay, good point."

Xander walked toward us.

Buffy and Riley stood, following.

The woman handed an piece of paper to Xander. "I brought an application for you to fill out."

"An application?" Xander repeated. "I can't just... tell you my references? Because there's Albert."

"We run your credit check based on the application," the woman explained.

"Oh, credit check," Xander told us nervously. He looked at us. "Little check on the credit. See how credible my checks are."

Xander laughed nervously.

We chuckled.

"And we'll be asking for first, last, security, and a small cleaning deposit," the woman told him. "The total's at the bottom of the sheet there."