chapter 20 - Spiral

Glory was still looking at Mom, Dawn and me.

I grabbed Mom and Dawn, running out of the building, through a field, toward the road.

"Zoey!" Mom told me.

"We have to keep moving," I told them.

Mom fell to her knees.

"Zoey, she can't," Dawn told me.

I picked Mom up in one arm, taking Dawn's hand in the other. We continued to run toward the road.

Glory appeared in front of us.

I put Mom down.

"I really hate it when people touch my things," Glory told me. "Last words, slay-runt?"

"Just one," I answered. "Truck."

A semi-truck ran Glory over, screeching to a stop.

Dawn, Mom and I ran away, leaving.

      •••••       

We met up with the others in Xander and Anya's apartment.

Dawn was explaining everything. "And then, whoosh. All of a sudden, Glory's standing right there, in front of us, all skanky and blonde and thinking she's all that, just 'cause some bumpy heads kiss her stinky feet." She looked down. "She does have nice feet. And she's coming right at us, and Zoey's just standing there, not even blinking, like 'bring it on', and--wham." She punched her hand. "Hell bitch in orbit."

"Go, Zo," Xander told me.

"I knew you'd beat Glory eventually," Giles told me. "All our years of training--"

"A truck hit her," I told them, looking unblinkingly out of the window.

Giles nodded. "Oh."

"You threw it at her?" Anya asked.

"Well, no," Dawn answered. "She more kind of waited for it to hit Glory. But then Zoey ran really fast, and we got away."

"I don't know how we got away," I told them. "That truck couldn't have slowed her down for more than a second."

"Well, how isn't important," Willow told us. "All the matters is that the three of you are safe."

I scoffed, turning to face them. "Safe? We've barely been able to manage not getting seriously dead every time we've crossed paths with Glory. The only reason why she let me go when I attacked her for what she did to our mother was because she knew that our mom could tell her who the Key was, and to do that, she needed me alive. And now she doesn't. Now that she knows that Dawn is the Key..."

Everyone looked at each other worriedly.

"There must be something in the Book of Tarnis that we missed," Giles told us. "Something that we can use against Glory."

"Piano," Anya told us.

"Because that's what we used to kill... that big demon that one time," Xander told us. We looked at him in confusion. "No, that was a rocket launcher." Xander looked at Anya. "An, what are you talking about?"

"We should drop a piano on her," Anya told us. "Well, it always works for that creepy cartoon rabbit when he's running from that nice man with the speech impediment."

"Yes, or perhaps we could paint a convincing tunnel on the side of a mountain," Giles told us sarcastically. "Let's just keep thinking, everyone. Perhaps we should reassemble at the Magic Shop--"