chapter 5 - No Place Like Home

I was on patrol alone outside of a warehouse, thrown into the sign on the fence behind me by the biker vampire, ducking just as he tried to punch me, making him smash into here my head was the second before, stepping away.

The biker vampire was a huge, burley Hell's Angel biker-type, looming over me menacingly. "I've always wanted to kill a Slayer."

"And I've always wanted piano lessons," I told him, punching him in the stomach. "So, really, who's surprised we have all this unexpressed rage?" I punched the vampire in the face twice, kneeing him in the stomach, trying to punch him again. He caught my arm, punching me in the face. I backed away through the open fence to the other side of the gate. The vampire followed, trying to punch me from overhead. I raised both arms to catch his arm. "But honestly, I think I'm expressing mine better." I kicked him in the stomach, backhand punching him in the face, pushing him against the fence. "I'll tell you what." The vampire tried to punch me. I caught his arm, twisting it behind his back, pushing him face first against the fence. "You find yourself a good anger management class..." The vampire shook me off, swinging toward me. I ducked, punching him in the face, pushing him against the fence, pulling out my stake from my jacket. "And I'll jam this pokey wood stick through your heart." I staked him in the heart, making him explode into ashes, sighing. "I think that sets the world speed record for closure."

I put the stake in my jacket, hearing a man's voice behind me. "Hey." I turned to see a night watchman with his flashlight aimed at me. The watchman lowered his flashlight. "Miss, if you're looking for one of those rave parties, I'm afraid you're late. Chased a bunch of kids out of here last night."

I nodded. "Oh, right. Yeah. Darn. My fellow ravers will be so disappointed. It was my turn to bring the bundt cake."

"You know, if it was my call, I'd let you do whatever you want," the night watchman told me. "It's not like anybody's using this place or nothing. They just don't pay me enough to argue with the boss, so..."

I held up my hands innocently. "Already gone."

I turned to leave.

"Oh, hey," the watchman told me. "Hold it, miss." I turned back. "Take your, uh, whatever this is with you." 

The watchman picked up a glowing gold orb from the ground, handing it to me. 

I looked at the orb in my hands in confusion. "Thank you."

"Glow balls, huh?" the watchman asked, chuckling. "I swear, I don't get your generation. What is that thing?"

I turned around, starting to walk away. "I'll let you know as soon as I find out."

  ~~~~~  

I walked into the Magic Box, looking at the quaint bell that rung when I had opened the door, closing the door, strolling through the store, taking in the curios and knickknacks lining the shelves.

The store was quiet and empty.

Giles was standing in the center of the store, dressed in a spangled purple robe and pointed purple warlock's cap. He smiled cheerily.

I looked at him weirdly.

Giles dropped the facade, shrugging out of the costume, pacing them aside.

Dawn walked in, gasping for breath, looking at me. "I told you you couldn't ditch me." She looked around. "Whoa. Mr. Giles. This place is so... wow. I mean, check out all the magic junk."

"Our new slogan..." Giles trailed off.

"So, when's it open?" Dawn asked. "You know, for customers?"