chapter 14 - Crush

The Bronze reopened after the demolition by Olaf.

It had been extensively remodeled. The basic layout was the same, but the fixtures and the furniture had a new style, less gothic/industrial, and more modern

The sign was the word Bronze in pink futuristic script.

The place was filled with people dancing, talking, drinking, etc.

Willow and Tara, and Xander and Anya were dancing on the dance floor to the upbeat music.

The group Summercamp was onstage performing their song 'Play It By Ear'.

Buffy was getting a few drinks from the bar.

I was sitting at our table, watching the dancers.

Spike sat next to me. "Bleeding crime, is what it is." Instead of his usual attire, he wore khaki pants, a blue/gray button-down shirt open over a black T-shirt, and a shiny brown leather jacket. "Jacking up the bar price to pay for fixing up this sink hole. Not my fault insurance doesn't cover act of troll."

"Gee, maybe it's time you found a new place to patronize," I told him.

Spike sat back. "I've half a mind to. Especially since the flowering onion got remodeled off the sodding menu." He leaned forward. "It's the only thing this place had going for it."

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Wha--what do you mean, what am I--" Spike started.

"Here?" I asked. "At this table. Talking to me. You go from hating me so much that you try to get your chip taken out to kill me to sitting here like we're some kind of talking buddies."

"Well, I saw you... sitting here alone," Spike told me. "Thought, I don't know, you could maybe do with a bit of, uh, you know, company."

I raised my eyebrows. "You're giving whiplash."

"A tactic I'm told I'm very good at doing," Spike told me. I nodded barely, looking away. "It's just, we took on that Glory chippie together. I was right there with you, fighting the fight."

"Actually, you were sleeping the sleep off the knocked unconscious," I told him.

"Still, points for intent," Spike told me. I looked at him weirdly in amusement. "You'd think that would be enough to cut me a sliver of slack. Earn a little consideration, respect."

Xander and Anya walked closer.

Xander looked at Spike. "Hey, uh, Evil Dead, you're in my seat."

Spike looked at Xander and Anya, sighing. "Bugger it."

Spike reached for his beer bottle, knocking it over accidentally, grabbing it, standing, walking away.

I watched him go in slight confusion.

Xander and Anya sat down.

"Xander, I think you may have hurt his feelings," Anya told him.

"And you should never hurt the feelings of a brutal killer," Xander told us sarcastically. He reconsidered, turning serious. "You know, that's, uh, that's actually some pretty good advice."

Buffy walked closer with drinks.

Willow and Tara saw from the dance floor, walking closer.

They sat down with us.

Buffy handed out drinks. "So, who's up for some more liquid refreshments?"

Willow opened a bottle of aspirin. "Did you get me water?"