chapter 9 - Listening to Fear

Joyce really had a brain tumor. She was really sick. It wasn't magic. But they had a surgery that would take it out. Or at least, most of it out, because taking all of it out could leave Joyce a vegetable.

Buffy was staying by her mom's side, and I didn't blame her.

So I was doing patrol alone for the next couple of nights, in the cemetery after dark, facing two female vampires.

I tackled Vampire 1 to the ground, making us both roll over the round, both of us standing. I kicked Vampire 1 in the face, making her roll through the air and fall to the ground. Vampire 2 ran toward me from behind, trying to attack me. I turned to face her, punching her in the face repeatedly, grabbing her by her shoulders, kneeing her in the stomach, making her double over in pain, staking her in the heart through her back, making her explode into dust. Vampire 1 stood, trying to roundhouse kick me. I ducked, leg sweeping his legs out from under him, making him fall to the ground. Vampire 1 started to stand. I cartwheeled toward her, kicking her twice in the head, making he fall to the ground, kneeling next to her to stake her in the heart, making her fall to dust.

I sighed, standing. "This is when the universe realizes that men are not always the dominate gender."

I looked around, walking away.

~~~~~

Willow and I walked into Joyce's hospital with presents to see Joyce reading in bed and Buffy sitting at the nearby table.

"Care package," Willow told them. "Special delivery for the Summers girls." Willow and I put the bags down on the bed next to Joyce. Buffy walked close. "Now, let's see what we have in this sack of ours." Willow looked at me. "Oh, I feel just like Santa Claus, except thinner, and younger, and female, and, well, Jewish." I smiled. Willow reached into the bag. "This..." She looked at Buffy. "Is an extra-special gift for your mom, that I know she'll need." She pulled it out. "A beer hat. See, i--it's got cup holders, and a straw that goes directly into your mouth, and..." She looked at Joyce. "You can fill it with other stuff than beer. And somehow, when I was in the store, this seemed like the most important idea." Buffy and I smiled. "And now there's the whole part where I'm crazy."

"It's perfect," Joyce told her. "Thank you, Willow. You're very sweet."

Willow handed the beer hat to Joyce.

"Now, let's see," I told them. "Who's next?" I smiled. "Buffy, I believe I have something in here for you..."

Joyce put her hand to her head, grimacing in pain.

Buffy looked concerned. "Headache?"

I stopped smiling.

"Just a little one," Joyce answered, managing a smile. "A biggish little one." Willow and I exchanged a concerned look. "I'm fine. Go on. What else is in that sack of goodies, Zoey?"

"All right, Buffy, to keep you busy," I told her, pulling out a large textbook called 'World History', handing it to Buffy.

"Homework?" Buffy asked, pretending to pout. "Oh. I don't believe in Santa anymore."

I smiled. "And a yo-yo."

I pulled out the yo-yo from the bag, handing it to Buffy.

Buffy smiled a small smile. "Thank you."

"The book is just in case you get a chance to look it over," I told her. Joyce looked thoughtful. "We're doing World War I now. The last exam was really pretty easy, just underlying causes and trench foot. So, it should be no hassle to make it up."