chapter 21 - The Weight of the World

Third Person

Willow and Tara were doing the spell to bring Buffy and Zoey back to consciousness, but to do that, they had to go into their minds and bring them back themselves.

Tara went into Buffy's mind.

Willow went into Zoey's mind.

Willow was in a clean, brightly-lit room. She blinked in confusion, looking around

She was in the Francis house.

Willow walked slowly forward, looking around. She came into another room with a fireplace. On the wall, there was a picture of Layla and her ex husband, Zoey and Dawn's father, Todd, both of whom were holding a baby.

On a side table, there were more pictures, and a statue of a man, woman and child.

Willow turned away.

There was a sofa behind Willow.

She heard a little girl's voice. "Hi, Willow."

Willow turned around.

The little girl was about eight years old, with brunette hair in two pigtails. She was sitting at a child-sized round table with some toys on it, holding a doll.

Willow looked toward another picture on a table.

The picture was of the little girl in front of her along with another little girl with red hair.

Willow looked at the little girl in front of her, smiling. "Hello, Zoey."

~~~~~

Young Zoey looked at Willow. "What are you doing here?" 

"Actually, I'm, uh, looking for you," Willow answered.

Young Zoey smiled. "You remember all the fun we had with dolls?"

Young Zoey stroked her doll's hair.

"Zoey, I need you to come with me," Willow told her, kneeling next to her.

"Why?" Young Zoey asked.

"To be with your friends," Willow answered.

"It's a big day for me," Young Zoey told her.

The front door opened.

Layla and Todd walked in with a baby in their arms.

"Hello?" Layla called.

Young Zoey smiled. "Mommy, Daddy!" She stood, handing her doll to Willow, running toward the door. Willow stood to watch. "You're back! You're back!"

"Hello, Zoey," Layla told her.

Todd leaned over with hands on his knees. "How's my girl?"

Young Zoey smiled.

"Are you ready to meet your new baby sister?" Layla asked.

Young Zoey looked upset, frowning, backing away, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Oh, come on now, Zoey," Todd told her. "She's nothing to be afraid of."

"Who's afraid?" Young Zoey asked.

"Don't you want to be the big sister?" Layla asked.

"No, I want to be the baby," Young Zoey answered.

Todd tilted his head. "Zoey."

"You're gonna pay more attention to her and forget all about me," Young Zoey told them. Layla knelt in front of her with the baby in her arms. Young Zoey looked at Dawn, turning to look at Willow. "Doesn't she look funny? Like a wrinkly old grandpa."