Chapter 8

Selina POV

Ivy and Harley leave and Vin holds onto me. I smile and sit on the couch. A couple of my cats swarm us and she giggles. She pets them and smiles.
"Kitty, why do you have so many cats?" Vin asks looking up at me inquisitively.

"I just really like cats. I've just started collecting them." I smile. "Now what do you want to do?"

She thinks for a minute. "Can we watch a movie?"

I smile. "How about the Aristocats?"

"I haven't seen that one yet." She shrugs.

"All the more reason we should watch it." I smile and put the movie in.
We watch movies all night until she falls asleep. I grab a blanket and pull it over her before retreating to my room to get some sleep. It doesn't take me long to fall asleep.
I wake to the sound of shattering glass. I run to the living room to see a broken window and Vin hiding behind the couch. Inspecting the window had me discover a note. A written threat.
"If you hand over the kid now I won't bother you again Selina. I just want her. -Joker"

"Vin sweetheart come here." I say trying to coax her out of hiding. She crawls out and runs into my arms. "It's alright."

"I want Mommy." She cries against my shirt.

I look at the clock. It was about 4AM. Hopefully they were done with the night's activities by now. I pull out my phone and dial Ivy. It rang once before she answered. "What's wrong?"

"You know who is trying to get Vin. She is terrified and needs you. Needs you badly." I say looking at the girl seemingly having a panic attack.

"We'll be right there." Ivy says quickly before hanging up.

"Breathe sweetheart. Shhh." I say holding her while sitting on the floor rocking her.

"My chest hurts Kitty." She cries as she breathes heavily almost hyperventilating.

"I know. Calm down please. You're okay. It's okay." I say kissing her forehead.

I hold her close until Ivy and Harley show up. Ivy runs over. "Baby girl it's okay. It's alright. Breathe." She sits on the floor next to me and takes Vin from my arms.

"I think she's having a panic attack." I say running a hand through my own short hair.

"Baby girl, talk to me. Tell me what's wrong. Tell me what you need." Ivy says quietly Vin slowly and kissing her head.

Vin cries for a while before she finally speaks. "Is he gonna kill me Mommy?" It's a small squeak between cries.

Ivy chokes up. Her own emotions overcoming her. "No I won't let him hurt you. I promise. I promise he'll never hurt you." She was almost in tears herself.
Harley sits in the corner near the front door. She looks as if she was about to cry her own tears. I breathe out and walk over to her. "Harley, what's wrong?"

"It's all my fault. If it weren't for me Vin would be safe and all of ya would be better off. He was right, I'm not cut out to be a parent. I'm nothing, just a sidekick." Harley cries into her knees.

I rub her back. "No don't say that it's not your fault. It's that psycho bastard's fault. You are a great mother. I've seen you with Vin. She loves you and you are great with her. You and Ivy are the best parents she could ever ask for. Now get over there and be with your family. They need you." I say this rather assertively.

"Thanks Selina, I really needed that." She says standing and walking over to Ivy and Vin.

Ivy POV

"Mommy can you sing to me?" Vin asks sniffling and looking up at me.

"Sure sweetheart." I smile slightly wiping my own tears. "Baby mine, don't you cry. Baby mine, dry your eyes. Rest your head close to my heart. Never to part. Baby of mine." I begin to sing quietly. She had told me Dumbo was her favorite movie that we had watched and this was a good song to sing her.

Harley sits down next to me and leans her head on my shoulder. She begins singing the second verse. "Little one when you play. Pay no heed to what they say. Let your eyes sparkle and shine. Never a tear. Baby of mine."

We start to sing the song together. "If they knew all about you. They'd end up loving you too. All those same people who scold you. What they'd give just for the right to hold you. From your head down to your toes. You're not much, goodness knows. But you're so precious to me. Sweet as can be. Baby of mine."

I look down and Vin had fallen asleep. I look over at Harley. "There is only one person who is going to be able to help us now. We need to call Batman."