Chapter 33

We sat and talked for a while as Ma gushed over our engagement. After a couple hours Barb gets a phone call and walks away into the other room to take it. I hear an ear piercing scream and Barb crying uncontrollably. I run into the hallway and see Barb curled up on the ground. I scoop her into my arms and hold her. "He's dead Vin."

"Who's dead Barb?" I say frantically as she shakes in my arms.

"Jason, Bruce just called. It was Him." I set Barb against the wall and stand up in a rage.

Mom and Ma overhear and try to grab me as they see me head for the door. "No! Don't try and stop me, he just killed one of my best friends, I'm not dealing with this anymore. He is dead this time."

Mom grabs my arm and pulls me back. "Vin please, don't do this. You know this is what he wants. Don't give into him. He wants you to turn dark."

"He needs to die and we all know Bruce isn't going to do anything effective. He's just gonna put him back in Arkham so he can keep escaping. I have to be the one to end this once and for all." I pull out of Mom's grip and head for the door.

A vine wraps around my foot and drags me back towards Mom. "I'm not letting you go Baby. I'm sorry but no. I can't let this happen."

Ma looks at Mom with a look of slight fear. "Pammy, you haven't used your powers in years. Please don't hurt Vinny. Please Pammy." Ma has tears in her eyes and I can feel rage inside me growing towards Mom instead of Him.

Barb is still inconsolable, Jason was the closest thing to a brother she ever had and now he's gone. She isn't here to calm me down or give me a reason to stop. Mom is just making it worse. Ma is beginning to go into hysterics because she hasn't seen Mom like this in years.

All of a sudden I feel myself begin to fade out and fall into a deep sleep. When I wake up its dark out and I am no longer being held by Mom's vines. I feel much calmer now and look around for a sign of anyone else being in the apartment. Barb is no where to be found which concerns me. But I eventually find Mom who is crying and when she sees me she runs up to me and hugs me. "I'm so sorry babygirl. I should've never used my powers. I'm sorry"

"Mom its okay." I whisper, hugging her tighter, "I was out of control"

"Barb went back to your apartment. She said she wanted to be alone while you were out still from the toxins I gave you." I nod and sit down at the kitchen table.

"Is he really dead Mom?" I put my head in my hand and feel the beginning of tears in my eyes. I wipe them away quickly.

"We called Bruce and he told us everything he could. Even he seemed really emotional about it, and you know how he is." I look up at her and she always knows when I'm about to cry. She uses her thumb to wipe away the remnants of my tears. "Sweetheart, you know there is nothing you or Barb could have done to prevent this. I promise you that things will be okay again and that he will get justice."

I stand without speaking and hug my Mom. "I love you." I walk out without another word and begin walking home towards what I know will be a hard sight to see because I hate seeing Barb upset and this is the most upset she has ever been.