Chapter 21

Vin POV

It's been about a year since the incident. I've been training non stop and life has been going smoothly. I can use a bow well thanks to arrow. And a crossbow even better thanks to Huntress. Canary has taught me lots of hand to hand combat and Wonder Woman has taught me lots of good ways to stop conflicts.

      Mom taught me how to use my body to my advantage and Ma has been trying to teach me gymnastics. I'm really bad at it though. I still have a broken arm from when I tried to do a flip. We got an earful from Mom when she found out.

     Since my arm is broken that has brought my combat training to a pause. Now I'm doing mostly cardio workouts to keep in shape and it sucks.

   "Vin time to go." Mom yells and I walk out of my bedroom and into the living room.

   I was going to Selina's for the weekend because she's been busy and it's been about a month since I saw her last. I walk to her house since it's only a couple of blocks away. I knock on the door and wait for her to answer.

  "I missed you so much Vinny." She smiles. "Let's order a pizza and watch some movies."

   I follow her inside and plop down on the couch, dropping my bag on the ground beside me.  "I missed you too Kitty." I smile and pet the head of one of her cats that jumps up onto the couch beside me.

   The whole night is filled with gossip and laughter. We watch a few chick flicks and laugh at how much we hated them and finished off a pizza. When the night began calming down it was Selina who finally broke the silence around 11.

  "I've got to tell you something." Selina says looking at me with a mixture of nervousness and excitement.

     "What's wrong? What is it?" I ask frantically automatically assuming the worst.

   "Nothing's wrong." She smiles and puts a hand on my shoulder. "It's good news. I'm getting married." She shows me the giant rock on her finger and I stare at it for a moment.

   "So he finally popped the question." I smirk at her. "Only took him like fifty years." I chuckle and smile at her.

   "Oh shut up. At least he asked me. You know how Bruce is. He has known you your entire life and has only just told you his real identity. I mean he is so secretive and cautious of people. But I don't mind." She smiles thinking of him dreamily. "Oh and you're going to be my bridesmaid."

    "But wait that means a dress." I whine slightly looking at her.

    "But it's a black dress so you shouldn't hate it too much. Plus your mothers are the other bridesmaids so you get to see your mom in a dress." She smiles and kisses the side of my head.

     "You guys have been together forever, I still don't get why it took so long for him to ask you." I say curiously.

     "He's just careful. That's all I can say really." She shrugs.

       I feel the ring box in my pocket. I bought a promise ring for Barb a couple of weeks ago but never found a good time to give it to her. But if I wanted to keep her I thought I should give it to her sooner than later.  I smile at Selina and tell her I want to go to bed so she heads into her room and leaves me on the couch with my pillow and blanket.

    I pull out my phone and text Barb.

About the same time on the rooftops  of  Gotham City....

Barb POV

      I patrol the roads and wait for any sort of action. After hours of nothing I end my patrol and head back for the apartment. I figure since its the early morning hours Dad shouldn't be back for at least a few hours so we shouldn't have any sort of interaction. Since he is the only person in my life who doesn't know my secret and if he did he would kill me and Bruce.

   I head there and change into some street clothes. I head to see what Vin needed me for, since she was at Selina's I wasn't expecting to be talking to her this weekend much. I figured something had to be wrong. When I get there I knock on the glass door and Vin lets me in.

   "Hey Baby." I smile and kiss her.

    "Hey Barb." She kisses me back and walks over to the couch avoiding eye contact with me.

     "Are you breaking up with me?" It slips out. The way she was acting that was the only possible scenario. I look at her feeling my eyes welling up with tears.

    "No, no, no, Barb no please. I am not breaking up with you baby. I love you." She says wiping my tears and pulling me into a hug. "I just wanted to talk to you is all."

     "You scared me baby. I thought this was going to be a break up talk." I giggle and hug her.

   "No not at all. I just wanted to ask you something. I want to be with you forever and I want to give you this." She pulls out a ring with a small diamond. "It's a promise ring." She looks at me, her blue eyes big and nervous.

    "Oh baby, I don't know what to say other than I love you and you are just the sweetest girl I've ever met." I smile and kiss her. "I love you so much. So, so much."

   Vin looks at me and kisses me again. "I just didn't want us to be like Bruce and Selina. Stuck in a relationship that goes nowhere forever until one of us grows the balls to ask the other one to marry them. I love you too much to get stuck like that." She smiles and puts the ring on my finger.

   I lay on the couch and pull her down with me, making sure to be cautious of her still broken arm. I put my arms around her and then pull the blanket over us. I kiss the top of her head and hold her tightly. I feel her breathing steady out as she falls asleep snuggled into my chest. I couldn't have felt anymore loved then I did right in that moment. My perfect girlfriend by my side and in my arms. In my heart I knew we would be together for a long time. I felt like nothing could break us apart.