|| O N E ||

Connor

It was another late winter night, soft snowflakes catching on the streetlights and creating falling stars against the pitch black sky. I sipped my coffee slowly, listening as the shower ran from the other room. I had almost drifted to sleep when Bethany walked into the livingroom and sat down next to me, her wet hair tied up in a ponytail as she wore her leggings and a loose t-shirt.

"Hey," she said sweetly, wrapping her arms around my neck. I kissed her cheek, smiling as I smelled the sweet scented body wash she used.

"You smell nice," I sighed, wrapping my arm around her shoulder.

"It's from Bath and Body Works."

"Mmm," I mumbled as she snuggled closer to me. I looked out over the livingroom I now lived in. This house was where I was staying now, no more living on my own and barely being able to pay rent. It was a beautiful, large house because Bethany's family was rich. But I couldn't help but feel a slight emptiness in my chest. I didn't know where it came from, but I felt as if something was missing.

I looked down at Bethany and slipped my fingers under her chin. I gently tilted her head up so I could look into her deep brown eyes. She smiled up at me, in a tired sort of way.

"I love you Beth," I whispered, "Always remember that."

"I love you too, Con." She kissed my lips softly. I loved her, but for some reason it never felt perfectly right every time we kissed. Something just didn't line up like I always thought it would. I always thought kisses sent fireworks and sparks through your body and made you light up and want to tackle them with love and lust and everything beautiful. But I guess I really didn't know anything.

I closed my eyes and placed our foreheads together.

"I love you I love you I love you." My words were almost desperate. They were aching for her to hear them. I never wanted her to forget them.

I could hear her smile through her breath as it hit my lips.

We stayed on the sofa for a while as I sipped my coffee before I got up.

"I have to go to bed, babe."

She frowned. "But it's so early!"

"My new job is at 7:00. You know how important this is." She bit her lip but nodded.

"Night, Con. I'll be in in a bit."

I kissed her forehead and went to our room, quickly changing out of my jeans and turning out the light before shuffling into bed. I stared up at the ceiling for a while, watching as street lights from outside flickered across the room.

My mind just wouldn't shut up. I don't know why, but I was terrified for the job I got at the bake shop. I knew that I needed money, and that staying with Bethany was helping, but I still needed money. I still had checks I needed to pay and I didn't have a job until now, so I had to ace this, which might be hard since I'd never had a real job before.

Maybe part of the reason the job was so important to me was that I didn't want to have to rely on Bethany for money. Maybe I didn't want to be with her forever, but I honestly didn't know.

I sighed and rolled over to face the wall before finally allowing myself to fall asleep.

-

"Good luck," Bethany smiled from the doorway.

"I'm going to need it," I said under my breath, and climbed into my old car before she could reply.

I jammed the keys into the ignition and listening to the spur of the engine as I pressed on the gas. I glanced behind me briefly, but Bethany was already back inside with the front door closed. The old thing turned the corner with a screech and headed towards the city. As I got closer, anxiety started to bubble in my chest, the palms of my hands starting to feel sticky with sweat. I eventually pulled into the parking lot of the large mall, it's slick and shiny doors already menacing from where I was.