|| S E V E N ||

I woke up in the middle of the night. It must have been three in the morning. Cold blue moonlight pooled on the livingroom floor in front of me. I pulled my blanket over me further.

I thought about Bethany. I thought about the house we had and the future she wanted. I thought about the baby we had and the feelings I didn't. I closed my eyes and remembered the walk I took the other day. I remembered the snow and the thoughts I let myself think. I tried not to push them away.

I didn't stop thinking. I felt my eyes water and prick. I didn't want to cry, but I couldn't help it. I felt a single tear slide down my cheek, cold against my hot skin.

I didn't know how I felt about Bethany. But I kept thinking about Troye. Troye. The fuzziness about his features when I looked at him, my beating heart and silent breaths and quick glances and the way that everything he did seemed so perfect.

I liked Troye.

I was stupid. Oh so stupid. I loved Bethany and she knew that. She wanted to get married, and our parents probably wanted that too. And here I was, leaving her alone at our house with a baby in her belly and empty bed sheets as I was falling for someone I had met at a shopping mall only a week before.

I squeezed my eyes shut, as if it would stop the tears.

I was such a fool.

-

The morning came slowly, and I hadn't gotten very much sleep but I tried to hide my tired eyes. It didn't seem like Troye got that much sleep either, but he looked more calm then the night before. The blue circles under his eyes had faded a little and I saw he had taken a shower. His hair was fluffy and fell perfectly just over his forehead. He was the first to say good morning.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked. He yawned, stretching his hands and hugging them around himself. I smiled a little when he didn't see because he was just so adorable.

Troye squinted and gave me a small smile. "I think I'm okay." he said.

"Good," I said.

"I always go out to get coffee in the mornings, do you want to come with?" Troye asked. His flight was late that night and I figured I could stay to help him pack.

"Sure," I said. I needed the caffeine. "If you'll let me help out, though."

Troye sighed but smirked a little. "Okay, okay. I'll let it slide."

"Yess," I said, joking. But I was still happy to spend more time with Troye. Eventually though, he would have to leave and I'd have to face the mess I left back at home.

We left soon, grabbing our hoodies and coats and stuffing our hands in our pockets as we walked down the road. It was only about 10 minutes before we reached the coffee shop. It was a small one on the corner of the street, filled with old magazines, movie, and music posters. A dusty chalkboard displayed the coffee drinks they served.

Troye stepped in front of the cashier, no line, and I followed quickly after. He gave a nod and small smile to the older lady working there. His finger grazed absentmindedly over the thick denim of his jeans before tapping them lightly against the countertop. His lips moved slowly and his eyelashes caught the artificial lights from the ceiling when he blinked. I blinked back and bit my lip. I hadn't listened to what he ordered. Troye turned his head down and raised his eyebrow at me. He had noticed my staring. I felt my cheeks heat up and quickly turned to the cashier, frantically glancing at the overlooked menu but something about the presence of Troye right behind me kept me from understanding the words I was reading.

"What can I get you?"

"Um, I'll just have a . . . um, a medium latte," I said the first thing that came to my head. She nodded, clicking her fingers against the keyboard and looked up briefly, for a split second, but her gaze flickered from me to Troye to me again and she raised her eyebrows and went back to her work.