|| T W O ||

I scanned the row of foundation bottles, but they all looked the same. I picked up the cheapest one and payed, cringing at the crisp 20 dollar bill I had to give up. Once I arrived at the bakery, I was just in time for Zoe to pull me into the kitchen.

"Here, can you fill up the display case in the front?" she said, handing me a tray of cake pops. I took it and headed to the front counter, Zoe smiling in return with a quick "Thank you."

-

It was around 1:00 when a familiar face stepped up to the counter.

"Hi . . . Connor," he said, after looked at my name tag. His blue eyes flickered around the room but he spoke before I could say a word. "I'll have an iced coffee and a muffin."

I smiled a little as I started to write his name on a plastic cup.

"I'm Troye. With an e."

I looked up, a blush slipping over my cheeks when I remembered how I had spelled it the day before. "Oh, sorry-"

"It's fine," he laughed, "No one gets it right the first time."

After he payed I couldn't help but wonder if he would come again tomorrow.

"Oh, you met Troye?" Zoe smiled a little as I walked into the kitchen after break.

I raised an eyebrow. "You know him?"

"Yeah," Zoe turned on the pink kitchen aid mixer and cracked an egg into her bowl with one hand. "He works here, you know?"

"In the mall?"

"Yep. Have you passed by the clothing store yet?"

I shook my head slowly.

"You should. You might see him." She poured a cup of milk in with the eggs and I watched as she added it into the mixer of sticky batter. "He's a sweet guy and he could probably use some friends."

I only nodded in response.

Before going home, I stopped at the park. There was something so beautiful about the park at dusk, when there was no one there. There was something so peaceful about the twilight sky and dim lighting throughout the trees, almost eerie. It was almost lonely, but there was a calmness too, as if its beauty was untouchable. It was empty and there was no noise except for the quiet breeze and the sound of my shoes against the ground. The trees were thicker towards the edges, but I knew to walk past them. As they parted again, a chilly breeze greeted me along with the sight of the the sunset reflected on the glassy water.

The ocean was so beautiful at this time, when the tide was high and crashing up against the rocks. I could almost feel it's mist and instantly slipped out my phone to take a picture. I wanted a real camera so badly, but I knew it was far beyond my reach. I didn't have the money and I wasn't the type to ask anyone else for presents. I snapped a few photos, but already the colors were starting to fade.

I turned away, knowing I had to be back home soon. As I walked back through the park, I saw another figure. He was sitting on the park bench alone, looking up through the trees. He looked slightly solemn as he sat there. I stepped a little closer, only because I was curious, when he turned his head and the little bit of light illuminated his features.

His eyes already locked with mine. "Troye . . .?"

His eyes widened. "Oh, hi."

I look an apprehensive step forward. I didn't want to get too close or seem closed off.

"You're Connor, right? The one who works at the bakery?" I noticed his lip curl into a slight smile in the dark lighting.

"Yeah," my breath looked slightly frosty in the cooling air. "Um, Zoe told me you worked there. You know Zoe, right?"