Chapter 5 - Facetime

To my surprise mr Castle looked much better than on those pictures I had seen earlier that evening. Much better. In fact he looked as handsome as he did when I met him that first time in the mall all those years ago.

"Wow" was the first thing he said when the call started working and I knew he could see both me and his daughter on the small screen of his phone.

After that I mostly sat and listened to the two of them talking. Alexis told him everything she had been through since they parted and mr Castle told her how much he'd missed her. They involved me in some of their conversation by telling me something they had done together, like going skiing, playing around in the park, going hiking and a lot of other stuff. What got stuck was the park, Alexis asked unless we could meet up in the park someday to play. I hadn't been able to say no so I said that I would think about it but that I couldn't promise anything. Somehow throughout the conversation I noticed how childish mr Castle was, and how much Alexis loved being the more grown up of the two. After what I think was about an hour Alexis's eyes started to drop and she asked her father to tell her a story. To my surprise she cuddled closer to me when he started on making up a story for her. Before I knew it she was breathing soundly, slipping away to the land of dreams.

"She's asleep" I told mr Castle quietly and he stopped with the story.

I looked at the girl in my arms and kissed her head gently.

"What I wouldn't give to be the one holding her right now" he said with a sad tone which made me look at the phone I held.

I had it pointed to me and Alexis so that he could see us without trouble.

"I'm sorry, I should probably end the facetime" I said but I saw him shaking his head violently.

"No, please, I enjoy the view" he confessed and I didn't know why but I blushed at his words.

I could see he laid down in his own bed as he continued to look at us.

"You're more beautiful than I imagined" the sentence slipped out of his mouth and he widened his eyes as if he wasn't meant to say that, "did I say that out loud?"

I nodded and I could see his cheeks turn red. I could also see he was regretting his words, not because he didn't mean them but because he found it incredibly awkward that I had heard his thoughts out loud.

"How come you became a fostermother?" he asked carefully and I shook my shoulders, carefully to make sure I wasn't waking up Alexis.

"I've always liked kids and I somehow stumbled across Alexis's name and knew I didn't want her to come into the wrong hands, so I took her in" I told him honestly.

"So you became it only because of Alexis?" he questioned suspicious.

"Yeah, I've always loved your books..." I was about to continue but he exclaimed what I didn't know he would even remember.

"That's how I know your beauty! I've signed a book of yours!" he exclaimed and I immediately put on my poker face.

"No, you didn't" I lied the best I could.

"Yes! I did! Katherine, did you know that means pure?" he quoted himself as I could see he thought back at the moment he had signed one of my books I had by him.

"How can you even remember that? I'm no one special and I'm sure you've met thousands of your fans!" I complained.

"I never forget a beautiful face, especially not as beautiful as yours" he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah right" I said as I could feel my eyes starting to give up.

I was so tired after everything that had happened during the day.