2. It's All About Psychology

Brennan was waiting outside of Dr. Sweets' office, trying to concentrate on the National Geographic she was holding. The truth is, she was constantly glancing around to make sure no one she knew... or no one that knew Booth... recognized her.

If he doesn't open his door in the next 10 seconds, I'm leaving, she promised herself. But she hadn't reached 4 when Sweets finally peeked his head out, before letting her in.

She entered the office and sat down as the psychologist shut the door. It wasn't long before he broke the uncomfortable silence they were in.

"So! Dr. Brennan. To what do I owe the pleasure of a private one on one with you? Have I done anything wrong?"

"How would I know?"

Sweets sat down behind his desk, pen in hand, ready to take notes. Brennan stopped him.

"I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't make this official. I mean, this would be off the record."

"I'm not a journalist, Dr. Brennan."

"I mean... I don't want this session in my file. Or whatever. If I do have a file. Do I have a file?"

"I can assure you everything you say here will stay confidential."

She didn't care if he wrote things down. He could record the stupid thing if he wanted to. She was only trying to buy some time. She still couldn't believe she was sitting there willingly.

"So. How can I help you?" Dr. Sweets asked.

"I need your expertise."

Sweets sat up a little straighter. "For a case?" he suggested.

"For myself."

His face stayed passive, even though he almost choked on his saliva.

"But you absolutely hate psychology," he pointed out.

Brennan stared out the window.

"Yes. But I need some objective advice on a perso... professional matter."

Sweets was so curious now, he couldn't help but ask, "Why come to me? Why not talk to Angela? Or to Agent Booth?"

At the mention of his name, she flinched a little. She tried to hide it by wiping some imaginary stain on her pants.

"Because... Angela's my best friend. She's a very emotional person and she can't help but be subjective. You're a professional. I respect that."

She was flattering him. This was serious.

"I need some answers," she continued. "And if your irrational ones are the only ones I can get, I'll take them."

Sweets nodded slowly.

"Ok," he said. And he waited for her to talk. But she was waiting for him to say something. So he encouraged her. "What's going on?"

After a deep breath, she heard her own voice.

"These past few weeks, I've been... uhm..."

"Feeling?" he suggested.

"I've been thinking about..."

Hearing herself stumble on words, she shook her head to recompose herself. She sounded like Booth. Dr Temperance Brennan wasn't afraid of words.

"I've been feeling, if you will, sexually attracted to agent Booth."

"Funny."

That's all Sweets said. Brennan frowned, trying to keep her cool.

"What? Why's this funny?"