9. Pretend, Avoid, Survive

Pretend, Avoid, Survive

She was in bed with Booth. Booth. When had he become this sexual magnet? Maybe sometime after the 7th or 8th shot. She had a perfect alpha-male specimen next to her. And it was Booth. She closed her eyes, willing herself to sleep, and tried not to move. Maybe if they both stayed really still, they would forget they were both there. Under the same covers.

He was in bed with Bones. Bones. When had he let himself flirt with her like a huge imbecile? Maybe after the 7th or 8th shot. He had a gorgeous woman, one he was drooled over in secret for more than three years, in bed with him. And he wasn't allowed to do anything. Clenching his teeth, he wished sleeping would make her forget he had pushed the boundaries tonight.

If she put aside the fact that she was drowning in sexual frustration, she had had fun tonight. More fun than she had in... years. How's that possible? My life is fun. Thinking about Leslie, she could still hear the sound of her pain. Brennan didn't believe in God. But she thanked him anyway. Her partner was still here. More than ever. He was still alive, funny, protective, strong. He was there for her. All the time. She turned her head to look at him, but her nose met the pillow line.

"Booth?" she whispered. Maybe he was sleeping already.

The pillow moved a little. Then it flew across the room. Booth turned to her, his head on one of his arm.

"Mmh?"

She studied his features. She knew him by heart. She didn't understand him fully, but she knew him. And that made her feel good.

"I'm really... really happy you're not dead."

"Me too," he whispered.

She realized then that he really had been afraid of dying.

"Thank you," she let out softly.

"For what?"

"Dancing in front of the bullet for me."

He chuckled.

"You're welcome," he said. "You would dance for me too."

Their eyes met in the dark.

"Yeah, I would."

Wrapped in silence, they both searched for something to say. Booth found first.

"Your voice is funny when you're drunk."

"You're not laughing," she refuted.

"No! Not funny 'haha', funny meaning... uhm... what's the word?"

"Hilarious?"

"Yeah." Then he frowned. "No."

He looked at her. She was confusing him. He noticed she didn't look comfortable without a pillow under her head. She was twisting her neck to find a good position.

"You know what? This is ridiculous," he said. He sat down and took the pillows between them. He gave her one and put two on his side.

"Hey! But..."

"Look, pretend we're in a car, ok? A tiny car, during a stakeout."

"Does that mean you're gonna talk all night?"

"Meaning, we're stuck in the same space, ok? This doesn't need to be weird."

She tried his suggestion. But...

"How do you see this bed as a car, Booth?"

"Just... pretend, Bones."

"Who's under surveillance?"