12. Fight or Flight

The next morning, 5:30am, Brennan had taken a shower, gotten dressed, and her luggage was ready. She prepared coffee and filled a cup for Booth. He was still sleeping. She squatted in front of him. He was so peaceful, it bothered her to wake him up. But they had to leave soon. Their flight was at 8:45.

"Booth..." she whispered.

He didn't move a muscle.

"... Booth," she tried again, poking his shoulder.

"Mmmh," he groaned. That made her smile.

"Booth, wake up."

"Go away..." he mumbled. He tried to turn to his other side, but he slipped from the couch. By falling, he hit her and she spilled hot coffee on him.

"God dammit!" he yelled.

Surprised, she yelped, "Sorry, Booth! Sorry!"

He cursed again, getting up.

"I'm sorr..."

"It's ok!" he replied, cutting her off. He didn't sound ok. She watched him walk straight to the bathroom, and slam the door.

She hesitated between feeling horrible and wondering why this was such a big deal. She had spilled coffee on herself to, and it was his fault. He was the one who fell off the couch.

When he got out of the bathroom, he went to the fridge and poured himself an orange juice.

"I'm sorr..." she tried again, wondering how she was supposed to defuse him.

"Yeah, you're sorry, I get it."

"No need to snap at me. I didn't push you off the couch!" she replied as cold as he did. "And if you didn't want to fall off a couch, you should have slept in the bed."

His head spun towards her.

"I didn't sleep in the bed because I knew you didn't want me there!"

"What? I never said that."

"You wanted me to sleep with you?"

Yes.

She decided to ignore his dig. He was in a crappy mood and he wanted her to be as well.

"What time did you go to sleep?" she asked.

Same as you. He maybe had 3 hours of sleep, and that wasn't nearly enough. She had had a wonderful evening with some guy, slept 3 hours and looked damn hot. It wasn't fair.

"11, maybe?" he lied.

"Then why are you so grumpy?"

"I'm not grumpy," he mumbled. Yeah, right. He got up and finally took the cup of coffee she had ready for him. "I'm sorry I yelled," he said, looking at her right in the eye so she'd know he was being honest. "I'm not a morning person."

She nodded.

"Did you have a good time last night?" he dared to ask, fearing the answer.

"Great." But her voice didn't mean it, which made him a little relieved. Only a little.

Something wasn't quite right. They hadn't fell into the weird silence treatment on their way to the airport, but still. After takeoff, Brennan undid her seatbelt and turned to him. She thought she knew what was bothering him.

"I'm sorry you had to spend your evening alone. I shouldn't have gone out with Mike when I had already told you I would have dinner with you." There. All should be fine, now.