3. The Truth Is Out There

Nervousness was not rational. Whatever was gonna happen was gonna happen anyway, being nervous wouldn't change anything. Brennan kept repeating this to herself like a mantra, but it didn't help. She was scared.

She thought about not going. But then, she would have to deal with Booth's questions, Sweets could interpret her absence anyway he'd want to. Even worse, they could talk about her and she'd not be able to defend herself. She had to go.

As she exited the elevator, she spotted Booth, waiting next to Dr. Sweets' door. He was playing with the bottom of his shoe. She sat down next to him, wondering why she had decided to wear a skirt today.

"What've you got there?" she asked, looking at what he was doing.

"Parker's new idea of fun."

She stared at him blankly, waiting for him to explain.

"He thinks putting gum under people's shoes is funny."

She frowned.

"It's a phase," he added, brushing it off with his hand.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because he's six?"

"I was six once..."

"Really?"

"... and I never had that phase."

"I bet you didn't do much at all," he mumbled.

Her voice raised as she got offended.

"I played tricks a lot on Russ!"

Booth just looked at her, his smirk reaching his eyes.

"Fine. Not a lot. But I did. Funny ones, too."

They waited in silence. She looked at her wrist but noticed she wasn't wearing her watch.

"What time is it?" she asked.

"9:07," Booth answered.

Her broad smile made him smile in return.

"What?" he asked.

"Maybe Dr. Sweets forgot about today."

Booth laughed. "Is that excitement I hear in your tone?"

"You've seen me excited before..." she said before she could realize how that would sound like.

She heard him snort but didn't look at him. She continued.

"What do you say we dish?"

"We what?"

"Dish. You know... As in leave. As in not go."

"Ditch, Bones. Ditch."

"You say to-mah-to, I say to-ma-to..."

Booth laughed. "That's not what it means, Bones. Nice try though."

"What do you think? Wanna ditch?" she ignored his last comment, really hoping he'd agree.

He just stared at her. She knew that look. It wasn't a good sign. She sighed.

"You really don't want to go in," he stated. She didn't answer, so he continued. "Would Dr. Brennan have something to hide?"

"What?! No! You're always saying these sessions are stupid. I'm just catching up with you. Aren't you glad I finally agree? Come on. Let's go."

He shook his head. "Oh no. Now I wanna go. Bones' got skeletons in her closet. Me like it."

"I didn't understand a word you just said."