7. British Equivalent

"Days seem longer in England, don't they?" Booth asked Brennan as they walked to his rented car.

They had just met with a man who had directed them to a pub. There, they would meet two agents who could tell them more about the victim's life. Life always helps with explaining death. 'It's what makes the world go round,' Booth had told her once. Of course, it was a silly concept.

"Days are the same duration anywhere, Booth..."

"I didn't say they were longer. I said they seemed longer."

She reached the car door.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Waiting for you to unlock the door..." she answered.

"We're in England."

She failed to see his point. "I know."

"And in England, cars are on the wrong side."

"Meaning?"

"That if you want the passenger door, it's the other one."

"I know," she said.

"You think you're driving?" he asked her.

"Well... yes. I've been here longer than you. I know the streets. It makes sense."

"No, it doesn't make any sense, Bones. I'm the one with the key," he said in a smug tone, throwing the key in the air and catching it.

He walked up to the driver's door, but she was in the way. And she wouldn't move.

"We don't have time for this," he whined.

"I concur."

But she didn't move.

So he put his hands on her hips to push her aside. She jerked at his touch and hit her back on the car.

What was that? he thought.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Drive, I don't care," she mumbled before walking to the passenger's side.

She could still feel his hands on her once she got into the car. She would have to be careful not to let him do that again.

Brennan stared out the window, trying to ignore the fact that this car was very, very small.

"How are Angela, Hodgins and Cam?" she asked.

"You haven't called them at all?"

She shook her head.

"I feel special," he said with a grin.

"Why? Because you're a special agent?"

"You're getting better with the kidding thing, Bones. I'm proud."

She felt foolish.

"I feel special because you called me."

"By accident," she rectified.

"You still called me," he said.

He told her everyone was fine. Even though everyone was still struggling. She had been right wanting to come here. He would have done the same thing.

"Why didn't you call me, really?" he questioned her.

Because I wanted to too much. If that had made any sense, that's what she'd have said. But she replied, "You didn't call me either."

"But you're the one who left," he specified.

That sounded like a well known after-breakup explanation he had had too many times with women.