Chapter 5: Turning points

Yukine and (y/n) were on their way to the park where the Christmas festival was held. Like the streets, lights were hung everywhere. All in the colours of blue, red, green, as well as the simple shade of white.

The two walked side by side, exchanging glances every now and then. "Are you sure you're okay with spending your Christmas with me?" She asks him.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I want to hang out with you and I've never been to the Christmas festival before." He says as they stepped foot onto the pathway to the park where the festival was.

Booths were set up side by side which consist of holiday games like "pin the red nose on Rudolf", or instead of "whack-a-mole" it was "whack-a-frosty".

Some stations sold various treats and deserts. Christmas cookies that mimicked melted snowmen, and cakes that were decorated in white, red, and green.

At one of the snack stations, the two young teenagers scarfed down on a number of confectionaries. "Man, it tastes so good!" Yukine said while stuffing his mouth with a cupcake. His cheeks were puffed and stuffed with the cake, and the frosting was smothered across his lip, which was now red and green.

(Y/n) giggles at the childish look of her friend. He looked like 2 year old after he smushed his own birthday cake on his face. "Here." She wipes away the frosting from his face with a napkin.

Yukine blushes with embarrassment. He felt like he was being babysat. "I'm fine." He told her, pushing her arm to the side. But she refuses and continues to wipe the rest of the frosting off his face before disposing the napkin. "You know, you don't have to do that. I can wipe my own face."

Now it was (y/n)'s turn to blush with embarrassment. She didn't mean to treat him like a little kid. "I'm sorry." She takes a bite of her cupcake while looking down at her feet.

A snicker was heard. (Y/n) looks up and saw Yukine's hand coming in closer to her face. He started to wipe the area around her mouth with a napkin. The girl's (e/c) eyes widen at the sudden action. Those same wide eyes saw a blushing Yukine, which formed a smile on her icing covered lips.

The blonde moves his hand away from her face and shows her the used-to-be white napkin, which was now covered with red and green. "Let's just call it even." He tells her before throwing the dirty tissue at a nearby garbage can.

As he came back, she was gone. Yukine's heart started beating a little faster than before, and a small feeling of unwanted butterflies filled his stomach. His amber eyes looked left and right. Through the crowd of people, he couldn't see her. His head was now filling with negative thoughts. 'Where are you?' He asks himself with a worried tone.

"Yukine!" Her voice called out. He looks towards the direction where it was coming from which was behind him.

A sigh of relief escaped the boy's mouth as soon as he saw her waving at him at one of the activity booths. Yukine runs over to her, trying his hardest not to lose sight of her between the crowd. When he got to (y/n), he immediately tells her, "Please don't run off like that again."

"Were you worried about me?" She asks him teasingly, but as a small joke. Another blush appeared on his cheeks. "Don't worry, I'm fine." She assures him. "Look! I won something!"

Yukine looks down at (y/n)'s arms which was tightly wrapping around something. It was a small stuffed bunny with with faux fur that was as white as the snow and it had red-orangey eyes.

(Y/n) holds the stuffed animal out in front of her, waiting for him to take it away from her. "It's for you." She tells him.

"R-really?" His face was now hot. However, this time, it was not from embarrassment.