Chapter 5

We got our stuff packed and headed back to the airport. We sat at the gate in silence.

~Dean's POV~

"You doing ok?" I asked her. The silence was becoming unbearable.

"Kind of. Something weird happened when I was talking to Sam." She said cautiously. She sounded scared. Not of my response, but of what happened.

"What?" I asked. She didn't mention anything earlier.

"When I hugged Sam, things felt different than they have been the past couple days. He radiated warmth. Whenever he and I would fight or he was mad or anything, he wouldn't feel the same next to me. He felt cold. When he was truly happy and passionately in love with me, he would be warm. And I don't mean like he's wearing a bunch of layers kind of warm. I mean like a feel good warm that makes you feel like you're melting on the inside. If he's not passionately loving me, I can't feel it, but I did. It felt like he didn't feel a connection during the hug, but I felt it." She said. That was weird. I knew he didn't remember her so there was no way it could be that he still remembers his love for her. I didn't know what to think about it.

"Wow. That's interesting. I really don't know what to say, Miranda. You know what you felt, but remember that it might not be accurate this time. I'm not trying to be the killjoy here, I'm just saying that you can't assume he was falling in love with you again." She didn't say anything. "I'm sorry, Miranda. That came out really rude. I'm just pissed that Sam won't come back with us."

"It's ok, Dean. It wasn't rude. I need to remember what's really going on. It just felt nice to, for even a moment, feel like everything was ok again. I love being with you and you have helped me feel ok, but you're all I have now and I miss having Sam in my life." She said. I felt bad for her. I really was all she had left.

"I'm sure it felt great. I wish things were back to how they were too. We just gotta push through it. I miss him too." I said. The flight desk lady called our zone and we piled on board. I played on my phone as the other passengers got on. I got an email from Sam.

Dean,
Have a safe trip back. I'll try to visit sometime if I can. Keep me updated on what you find about all of this. Tell Miranda I'm really sorry. I know she misses me and she loves me, and I really wish I remembered. I feel so bad that she's going through this, and in her eyes, I'm just about the worst person in the world for betraying her. I'm sorry, Miranda. Tell your son I'm sorry too.

Talk to you soon, Dean.
-Sam

"Miranda." I said gently. "Sam sent me an email. You should read it." I handed her my phone and she read it.

"Thanks for showing me. It's good to know he cares." She said as she handed it back.

"He really does." I said. I rubbed the side of her shoulder slightly since tears were about to fall from her eyes. "Miranda, I'm so sorry. I never should have promised you I could fix it. I'm gonna keep trying, but I don't know that I can."

"It's ok, Dean. I'm not and have never been mad at you about this." I nodded and tried to fall asleep.

~Miranda's POV~

I kept hoping Sam would magically appear on the plane right as we took off and come back with us like some predictable hallmark movie, but he never did. I think the thing that helped me keep going through all of this was the fact Sam still cared and that Dean seemed to care more than ever. I couldn't believe Dean was still so caring through all of this and I still couldn't understand why Dean beat himself up over not getting him back. It wasn't his fault. I really appreciated his protective brotherliness. That hadn't changed despite all the Sam stuff.

I put my earbuds in and tried to sleep as we flew back home. I had a few weird dreams, but it felt good to relax for a while. We got back to the bunker and hung out for a while before heading to bed.