Chapter Thirteen

"So you found it?" Jonathan asked. Beth had fallen asleep and ended up once again, face to face with Jonathan who seemed both excited a little concerned about her finding the book only hours before. 

"Yeah, it was in the same place as the dream, only it was harder to find," Beth shrugged, leaning against the throne in the center of the room. Every time she had been in Edom, she had remained almost stationary whilst Jonathan spouted out some rumour or danger. This time was different, the conversation and mood were much more casual and Beth found it safer to have more of a relaxed posture.

"Of course it was harder, in the dream there was nothing else on the shelf. I'm just surprised it was there. Last time I saw it was right here."

"You've said that already. You also said that someone may have put it there because they don't like what's going on the Rouge's either. Let's not think about who or why let's think about how we're going to use it.

"I told you, you are not to attempt to use it. Who knows what could go wrong. This isn't like a Shadowhunter Rune, or one of Clary's. These are dangerous. I know one worked the other day, but that was different. I knew that one would work, I'm not sure about this new one." Beth rolled her eyes.  She had hoped that there weren't going to be any warnings in the conversation. All she wanted was to have a normal conversation with him, but she could see that that wasn't going to happen. Jonathan just lived for the doom and gloom of life. 

"Don't' sweat, I couldn't find the sword anyway. It says it has to be that specific one, and as it is nowhere in the Institute, there is no way I'm going to bring you back into the real world," she paused, " not that anyone wants you there," she finished. Jonathan looked at her but said nothing. Instead, he began pacing. 

"Look, obviously someone showed you that book for a reason and whatever that reason is we need to know. As for the missing sword, it'll probably show up. Just like everything else. But, if that sword were to show up, you have to promise me that you won't attempt to open the portal under any circumstance. I don't know what effect it could have on the world," he said.

"I promise I won't try and open the portal if I find the sword," Beth replied though her fingers were crossed behind her back.

"You're lying. Your fingers are crossed behind your back. I have X-Ray eyes remember!" Jonathan said, wiggling his fingers in front of her face.

"Stop it," she smiled, slapping his hands away from her face. 

"Okay, okay, just promise me." She was just about to promise him when the scene vanished.

***********************************

Beth lay, staring at the ceiling for several minutes before she finally decided to get up. The dream meetings with Jonathan were exhausting and she wasn't even controlling them. She would always wake up more tired than she was when she went to bed only hours before. Rubbing her eyes, Beth climbed out of bed and took a quick shower before sitting on the edge of her unmade bed and examining the book. She had another look at the diagrams of the sword and couldn't find anything significant about it, but there had to be something. So, deciding to have one more try at finding it, she picked up the book and headed to the weapons room. 

No one else was awake and Beth was happy that she was an early riser as most people would still be in bed when she was up and about. She quietly tiptoed down the hallway and into the weapons room, the book clutched tightly in her left hand. Opening the door to the weapons room, Beth looked at every sword  she could and attempted to compare the one in the book, none of them matched. She was just about to give up when she spotted one in the corner of the room. This sword hadn't been there yesterday, but it did look almost identical to the one in the book.