Chapter Fourteen

Jocelyn and Jonathan stood for what seemed like hours staring at each other. Neither of them moved or spoke, they just stared. Beth watched them cautiously, she knew that there had been tension between them in the past, but she had never witnessed it first hand. In fact, the only time she had ever witnessed tension this strong between two people was when there was a stand-off in her school playground several years before. 

Beth was so focused on the stare off that she didn't notice the portal behind her. It wasn't until she heard a strange popping noise that she turned around to see a dark shape approaching the portal. Grabbing her jacket off the floor, she made an attempt to close the portal, but the sword wouldn't budge. No matter how hard she pulled, it wasn't going anywhere. " A little help?" She groaned as she continued to pull the sword. 

"I got ya," Jonathan said, grabbing the blade and pulling it up. Between the two of them, they managed to manipulate the blade until it was vertical against the painting. The Rune glowed white, but quickly faded to black before vanishing completely. The magnetic connection broke and the sword fell to the ground with a loud clatter. 

"Well, that could have been interesting," Beth joked as she checked out the damage to her jacket before slipping it back on. Jonathan glared at her and smacked her lightly on the top of the head. "What the hell? Why'd you do that?" 

"I told you not to open it! Neither of us knew what was going to happen once the portal was opened and I specifically said that it was dangerous. Not to mention stupid!" He ranted.

"I get it, I shouldn't have opened it, but I did. You didn't have to come through, but you did. Look, whether we like it or not you're a better ally here then you are back in Edom, whether you're alive or not." Jonathan went to reply but knew she had a point. If he were still in Edom then it was a lot harder to contact each other as the energy needed to do so was huge. As for the living debate, that was an interesting one. 

"I don't understand. We burned your body. You died!" Clary yelled. Jace placed his hand on her shoulder though even he looked angry. No one could compare to the look Isabelle had. She had the hard stare of someone who may have been gearing up for an attack. Given half the opportunity, Beth was sure she would have pounced and attempt to throttle him. 

"You killed his body, not his soul. They're two completely different things. His soul was left down in Edom and that's how I've been talking to him. Granted it has been extremely tiresome even though I wasn't doing the summoning, only the dream moving. Not that that makes any sense whatsoever," Beth rambled. Jonathan looked at her and raised an eyebrow. He had only ever had a serious conversation with her and had never heard her ramble to the point that even she got confused. 

He had to admit, though, she had a point. Neither of them knew whether he was really alive or if it was just his soul. That being the case, no one should be able to see him. In Edom, he had manipulated the energy around him to make himself visible to Beth, and that took a lot. But the mundane world was different. He wasn't in control and logically speaking, no one should have been able to see him, but that hadn't crossed anyone's mind.  

"So, if that's true, does that mean that he's not technically alive?" Charlie asked. He hadn't spoken since Beth had entered the room and he didn't seem too phased by what had happened either. He was the only one who was calm and in control. 

"Well, there is one way to find out." Beth reached into her boot and pulled out the dagger that she kept for emergencies. She handed Jonathan the dagger and watched as he placed the sharp end onto his forearm and dragged it lightly across his skin. It only took a few seconds before a streak of crimson blood appeared and began to trail down his arm and drop onto the floor. From her back pocket, Beth pulled her stele and drew an iratze just above the newly formed wound. She watched as it healed and accepted the blade from Jonathan without another word.