Chapter Twenty-Nine

Beth awoke with a loud gasp. She clutched at her chest and felt her speeding heart rate through her fingers, the loud thumping in her ears. Nothing she did could control it. Lifting a shaky hand, she brushed her hair away from her face and placed a hand on her lap, picking at the frayed edges on her duvet. Looking down, she glimpsed the fading red stain that had followed her from Edom. Reacting quickly, Beth pushed the duvet away from her and ran into the bathroom, determined to get rid of it. It was more than likely that she would have the staining on her legs and wherever else she had touched so she took a shower. 

It took ages to remove any evidence of the blood from her hands and legs. By the time she was finished, her hands were aching and her legs felt raw to the touch. But she was free. The only thing she had left was the memory of the dream, and it was something she wasn't going to forget anytime soon. When she was officially free of the mementos from Edom, Beth quickly changed into her training gear and checked the time on her phone, annoyed to find it was ridiculously early in the morning.   

Deciding she didn't want to be the only one up that early, Beth decided to wake Jonathan up, after all, he was the only one she could tell about the dream without being judged. Beth slipped from her room and quietly moved towards Jonathan's, determined not to wake anyone else up. Pressing lightly on the door handle, Beth opened the door and slid into the room, trying not to make a sound as it closed behind her. 

Beth looked over to the bed and stood watching Jonathan sleeping. The last time she had woken him up, she had done so in such an aggressive manner that she never thought to pause and take a closer look at him. She had seen him fighting, seen him laughing and had even caught him crying yesterday, but she had never seen him do nothing. Never seen him so relaxed before, it was strange.

She noticed how he slept with his mouth partially open with one hand was thrown out to the side, his hand dangling off the edge of the bed. The duvet had slipped down and was resting lightly on his hips whilst one corner of his T-shirt had ridden up and exposed a small portion of his stomach. His breathing was soft and every once in a while a small snore escaped his lips, but didn't seem to startle him. Jonathan looked extremely relaxed which was a state many had never seen before. To capture this, somewhat historical moment, Beth pulled her phone from her pocket and snapped a picture of him, to keep as a memento if she were to survive the final duel. 

After a few moments of watching and observing, Beth came to the conclusion that it was a little weird so slipped her phone back into her pocket and shook her head so she could regain some of her senses. When she was finally back in the real world, Beth decided to take the patient way of waking him up instead of hitting him violently with a pillow like she did last time. Slowly, she lifted her hand and place it lightly on Jonathan's shoulder, careful not to startle him. Lightly, she began to shake his shoulder, hoping if she did it enough he would eventually wake up without her having to resort to violence. 

"Hey, Jon, wake up," she whispered slightly as she continued to shake his shoulder. Jonathan groaned and rolled over, trying to push Beth's hand away from his shoulder. "I'm not going anywhere, Jon, wake up." Beth continued to shake his hand gently but after a while, she grew annoyed at his resistance, so she began to shake slightly harder. 

"Gerroff me, Beth," Jonathan groaned rolling onto his stomach, his face pressed deeply into his pillow, trying to ignore Beth. 

"I need to talk to you!" Beth replied, continuing to shake his shoulder, despite it being an almost impossible task now that he was on his stomach. 

"It's too early to get out of bed. Come back in four hours," he said, his voice muffled by the pillow. 

Groaning in frustration, Beth stopped shaking his shoulder and decided that a new attempt might be the best way of waking him up. After pondering for a few moments longer, Beth decided that violence seemed to be the only way of waking him up. Beth crept around to the bottom his bed, trying her hardest not to disturb him, and grabbed the edge of his duvet. In one, hard tug, Beth yanked the duvet off Jonathan.