Chapter 1 - Alanna

• Dedicated to The Makers Of Wolf's Rain

I run full out. My paws hit the ground rythmatically. I can't explain what it is.. Something is pulling me towards a city. I haven't eaten in two days. Maybe i should stop.

"NO!" A little voice screams. It's the more determined part of me. It always is in these situations. If i don't listen that small part of me will keep on howling. So, i kept running.

Finally after two days there is a city in the distance. I run faster my strength renewed. It looks nice from here. The little voice hasn't said anything like the last time i found a city, so this must be it. As i make it to the gates i see men with guns. Probably to keep out wildlife. Good thing wolves can hide themselves pretty well these days.

I hide behind a bush so they don't see me and concentrate on the illusion us wolves use with humans. We feel it too. When we look human we feel it too, that way we aren't un-coordinated.

I am knelt down on my hands and knees. My necklace hitting my chest. My clothes look brand new. A tank top that's brownish-red, or is it reddish-brown? Eh, who knows the difference anymore. My skirt is a green color with fringes at the bottom, made to look like grass. My hair falls around me, long and an orange-y-brown. My eyes never do change, the last time i saw them was in a puddle, they are amber, or something close to that. As i stand up strait i notice my boots. Hiker boots, a lovely shit brown colour. Oh, well. At least if i step in shit, no one will know. My wrist still holds my bracelets. Four silver bracelets given to me so long ago by someone who had taken care of me. The necklace with the heart pendant is also from her. We spent five years together before she died. Each piece of jewelry a present given to me on the anniversary we met.

As i stand up straight, one of the men sees me. I walk to him. No point trying to sneak in.

"What's a pretty little thing like you, doin' hangin' around a place like this?" He asks in a sweet voice guys always use when hitting on a girl.

"I was just making my way from city to city is all. And i like the looks of this one. I might just stay here for a while, maybe a year. Unlike the last city." I say, and i try to sound sweet but a little bitterness seeps in. The look on his face hasn't changed so i don't think he heard the bitterness.

"By all means then. Come into our lovely city. And do enjoy your stay." He says politly as he side steps out of my way. I bid him thanks as i pass him.

After i passed him i finally got to look at the city, the streets and the buildings. I don't understand why i'm here... I walk along the street, and notice people are staring at me. Mostly men. I look down at myself. Shit! These clothes are too revealing. I look around wildly for a store but i don't see one. I walk a couple blocks then i see one. It's for pants. Oh well. Better than nothing. I walk into the store, and notice the cashier is a Woman. She has black hair that goes in every direction. Her eyes a pretty shade of blue and a scarf around her neck. I look away, for a moment at the pants then i look back at her. But there is no girl. Only a wolf. Pants forgotten i walk to her and whisper to her;

"You're a wolf?" I ask.

"You are too, why is it a shock?"

"I've never met a wolf before. Well besides myself of course."

"Obviously." She says with a smirk. I think that means she's joking, but i'm not sure. "I'm Blue, and you are?" She asks politely.

"I'm Alanna." I say. Maybe this is why i came here.... "Are there more?"

"There's a few of us here. You'll have to find them though. I won't know where they are till tonight, the full moon."

"You guys all meet up for the full moon?"