Prologue

Unlikely to Happen

Prologue – Will I find my Prince Charming, Mummy?

The lighting of the room was dim, giving off the effect of that of a lit candle in the olden days. The thick cream curtains were closed allowing the room to heat up as the wall panel heater was switched on. A green and dark purple lava lamp swirled on the bed side table as the glitter reflected in small tiny dots on the wall.

An innocent eight year old girl laid in her four poster canopy bed, her thick, curly black hair fanned out on her pillow while her elder sister, by four years, laid at her feet as her mother, almost an uncanny replica of the little girl lay next to her. "Right, girls? May I begin?" the older woman, the mother asked the girls.

Both girls eagerly bobbed their head. With a smile on her face, the mother began the story. "Once upon a time, in a land very different from ours, in a land far, far away from ours, lived a great man. Over 1400 years ago, a love story bloomed and blossomed in one of the most romantic ways. In a time where women were not given much rights, in a time where women were meant to only have children and bring them up in a suitable way, was one outstandingly remarkable lady, the lady Khadijah {R.A}, the first and one of the most beloved wives of our last Prophet Muhammad {S.A.W}."

The mother had not even gotten much into the tale when she was interrupted by her youngest daughter. "But mummy, why was she so remarkable?" she questioned.

The mother, Ameera, smiled indulgently at her daughter as she stroked her curly hair away from her baby's eyes. "Patience, my little grasshopper. I was going to tell you that if you had let me carry on," Ameera said.

The daughter in question, gave a sheepish smile and apologised. "Sorry mother."

"Now, their marriage took place when the Prophet {S.A.W} was 25 years old and Khadijah {R.A} was 40 years old. That in itself is one of the most remarkable things that had happened. Now, now, I am not saying that it is the most remarkable things, but one of many in a long, long chain of things that had occurred with our beloved Prophet {S.A.W}," Ameera said smiling.

"Khadijah {R.A} had married the Prophet {S.A.W} for his well-known truthfulness and his honesty in his dealings. A woman at her advanced age had not married for wealth, because one of the things that was remarkable about her was that she was one of the richest ladies in Makkah at the time. Now girls, be aware that at that time, women were not allowed to own property or take part in trade, yet Khadijah {R.A} did that."

"Oh! So that was why she was remarkable!" the little girl with the darkest shade of brown eyes said excitedly.

Answering her question, Ameera simply nodded. "Yes, my little impatient grasshopper."

"Mummy! Go back to the story!" the elder girl cried. Despite her hearing this story one thousand times before, she still loved hearing what a compassionate man the Prophet {S.A.W} had been.

"Khadijah {R.A} and our Prophet {S.A.W} had a blissful marriage. They had beautiful children, although, according to Allah's Will, none of their sons lived to carry forth our Prophet {S.A.W}'s name. She had been his source of comfort when the Prophet {S.A.W} met the Angel Jibra'eel {A.S}, she had held him and soothed his worries. She had believed in him when he told her to worship Allah alone, she had been his strength in times of difficulty and she had been a source of contentment to him. By Allah, they had a beautiful relationship. But, even after her death, and after our Prophet {S.A.W.} had mourned and remarried, he remained a perfect husband. The type of husband Disney can only dream of creating."

"Why?" the inquisitive eight year old asked.

Once again, the mother stroked her hair, hoping to lull her into sleep. It seemed to be working when her eyes began drooping slowly. "Because, my little one, he used to mend his own clothing, when his wife got jealous, he would smile and soothe her not get angry at her. When food was served and he did not like it, he simply ate it and said it was nice. Unlike many men today, he did not complain or moan about it. Our Prophet {S.A.W} would even clean the house and help his wives as much as he could. He was a just man."

"Oh," she said, stressing the 'o' sound, as if she understood what that all meant. But she would, eventually, and those characteristics of a man who had been great over 1400 years and still remained great in present times, would be too unattainable for a man in the 21st century. Years later, when she finally understood every word her mother said when she was eight years old, it would be too late.

However, at eight, all she could think about was her own Prince. "Will I find my Prince Charming, Mummy?" she asked in the most innocent tone only an eight year old can muster.

Unable to bear breaking her daughter's heart, Ameera simply nodded. That would be the one big mistake Ameera would make, causing her daughter unimaginable pain as she grows up into a beautiful and mature lady.