Part 7 -Tying The Knot

Part 7 -Tying the knot

Aishah (RA) narrated that Allah's Messenger (PBUH) said, "Any woman who marries without the permission of her guardian, then her marriage is void (he repeated it three times)", and he added, "So, if he consummated the marriage with her, she is entitled to the dowry because of what he has attained from her. And if they differ, then the Sultan is the guardian of the one who does not have one."

~Sunan Abu Dawud

Four months after Maleeha spoke to her parents, telling them she agreed to marry Zaakir, she was marrying him. Although, they had a somewhat civil conversation between them where they discussed the Nikkah nothing after that simple conversation went as smoothly between them. The only thing that they seemed to be in agreement was with the amount of people they wanted at the Nikkah, the reception and the Walimah.

Zaakir and Maleeha both said that they didn't want anything fancy, and nothing big. Both sets of parents nodded their heads, but as the weeks inched closer, Maleeha noticed how many wedding invitations went out, how long her mother sat on the phone arguing and arranging things. Whenever Maleeha offered to help, her mother disagreed and sent her away, reminding her that she told her mother that she and Nurunissa could do as they pleased with the wedding and every other ceremony, as long Maleeha got to choose her own outfits, and that they stuck to what she and Zaakir wanted.

Their mothers seemed to be ignoring the fact that they both wanted something small, intimate and not flashy. They did not want to pretend for hours that they were actually in love, and that they wanted to be together.

However much Maleeha wanted to ignore the fact that she was going to marry the ugly lizard, she couldn't. To her utter surprise, she was selected to be the intern at his company along with Pooja, but she was cursed to be the one to actually work with him. She had made him vow that he chose her based of her worth, not because he felt like he had to apologise to her and that by allowing her to intern by him, would give her all the credibility that she would need to succeed.

Four days before the wedding, she was called into his office. With as much attitude as she could muster, she walked into his office. Maleeha would never admit it to him, or anyone else for that matter, but she was actually afraid of him calling her into his office. She never quite antagonised him at the office, and she kept the relationship between them professional and clear cut. "Assalaamu alaykum," she greeted as she walked in.

He returned her greeting. "Take a seat," he told her as he shuffled in a cabinet he had in the far corner in the office. "I just need to find this one folder and then I can talk to you."

Maleeha sat and twiddled her fingers, round and round until she got bored of waiting for him. "Which folder?" she asked him with slight attitude, her nerves were getting the better of her.

He told her the name as he kept his head inside the cupboard searching.

"Oh," she said coolly as she got up and went to the cupboard. "It's in the blue folder." She reached him and asked him to give her a bit of space so she could search without touching him. She bent down, and rifled through the lowest shelf so she could within seconds she got up with a grin and handed it over to him.

"Casey and Cecil!" she smirked.

He rolled his eyes at her, and then motioned for her to sit, once again. "Let's talk," he said seriously.

She cringed and pulled a face.

He chuckled as he caught her in the act. "Look, it is nothing serious. Well, it kind of is. Seeing as we are getting married," he pulled a face and she laughed at him. "In four days, it would be more preferable for me to place you elsewhere within the company so that when the news comes out that I married you, it will not seem as if you were favoured. Your reputation will be saved that way," he added quickly.