Part 9 -Miss Independent

Part 9 –Miss Independent

"Indeed Allah has heard the statement of her that disputes with you concerning her husband, and complains to Allah. And Allah hears the argument between you both. Verily, Allah is All-Hearer, All-Seer."

– Aayah No. 1, Surah Al-Mujadilah

Maleeha jumped awake. The cold kiss of the of nightmare still surrounded her, as much as the darkness that kept itself wrapped itself around her which did nothing except for intensifying her fears. She scrambled against the cool wall and clutched a pillow to her chest, while she leaned down, resting her head on it as she read Ayatul Kursi quietly.

Slowly, she felt the fear dissipate and her heart felt lighter already as she took deep breaths; in and out. Once she felt better, calmer, she glanced around the room. Her eyes settled on Zaakir's peaceful sleeping form. He was on the bed opposite hers, his long arms looked bare as they were tucked underneath his pillow as he laid on his stomach with one of his long, muscular legs dangling off the edge of the bed. Despite not wanting to, Maleeha smiled, because he looked like a little boy while sleeping, although he was more than a little overgrown. He looked adorable, and innocent, and yet Maleeha shook her head of wanting to take a picture of him. The flash could wake him up, and keeping that picture would soften her heart towards him.

She took her eyes off his cute sleeping form, and noticed that on top of the table, next to the two burger boxes that she ordered for them, there were two long, white polystyrene boxes. A genuine smile took over her face as her eyes softened. "May Allah reward you," she whispered smiling in his general direction.

After Maleeha came home, she cried out her anger, then made her Salaah and went to lie down since Zaakir was the one who carried all her shopping bags –every single one, including the one with her books. She assumed that he had dumped it all in his fancy black SUV and disappeared for hours on end. She was slightly upset at first that he left her alone for so long without much to do, but as soon as she saw the food he brought her, her heart melted a bit.

Was there a slight possibility that Zaakir was ...sweet?

She shook her head, dispelling that thought. No. Zaakir was not sweet; he had to be doing this with some or other ulterior motive in mind. Maybe to keep her pliable in his hands? To keep her soft towards him, and then once he gains her complete trust he will just shatter her completely? She could not allow him to shatter her, to hurt her again. While she may have no feelings whatsoever for Yahya, she won't forget his betrayal. However, her grumbling stomach disrupted her thoughts, but she knew one thing was certain, she could not allow herself to think of him of anything other than a sharp minded, manipulative and cunning businessman.

As it grumbled again, she pressed her hand to it and debated whether it was worth it to actually get out of bed and fetch it, or stay lazy and see how far she could go without falling off the bed. "Shush!" she hushed her growling stomach, with that last growl, she decided to crawl to the far end of the bed and then stretch as far as she can go to grab her half eaten burger. She leaned over slightly more and then grabbed her box. With a triumphant smile, she crawled back happily to her proper place and then opened the key to her short lived happiness.

After she ate her cold burger, she put the empty container in the bin and went back to sleep. They were leaving in the morning, and she didn't want to be late. When morning came –when Fajr came –Maleeha pressed the lower bit of her palms into her eyes, rubbed it and then got up and ready to read Salaah. She looked and found that Zaakir was still sleeping.