Part 6-Difficult Decisions

Part 6 –Difficult Decisions

"Allah has promised to believers –men and women –Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein [forever] and beautiful mansions in Gardens of everlasting bliss. But the greatest bliss is the Good Pleasure of Bliss of Allah. That is the supreme felicity."

~Surah Tauba, verse 72.

Maleeha stared at the family seated all over her sofas. Her face was stuck in a permanent scowl, but she masked it very quickly if she caught someone looking at her. The sudden intrusion of half of Zaakir's family into her home made her worry about the food and the seating arrangement, but one of his sisters –she hadn't quite grasped their names yet –told her to place all the food on the table and everyone would take plates and eat wherever they got place.

She smiled and nodded, and got to work placing all the available plates and glasses and condiments she knew would go well with the food, including cold drinks. Panicking that the two 2 litres of cold drinks that she had were not going to be enough, she ran upstairs to her room, grabbed her hand bag and went to whisper in her mother's ear where she was going. Her mother understood that she was taken aback and thrown overboard by the uncatered for numbers, despite there being two other fresh juices available on the table.

Maleeha rushed out the door, nearly knocking Zaakir out of the way who was holding a little girl in his hands, but Maleeha yelled a 'sorry' over her shoulder, more for the little girl than for Zaakir. She hurried to get 12 more 2 litres of assorted cold drinks in the closest shop to the house. When she returned, she found herself in a situation. She could only carry four bottles at most, but she knew that it would be embarrassing to see her carry in so many bottles and fall in front of Zaakir. Her imagination could only dredge up all the worst taunts he would throw at her.

With a helpless sigh, she opened her car door and went to the backseat to take out the bottles. She took them, all four of them in her arms and started walking, very carefully to the door. At that precise moment, Zaakir walked out and rushed over to her. "Let me help you, lizard," he said in a stern tone.

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. "No thanks, I can manage," she retorted.

"Shut your mouth, and let me help you with that," he said as he forcefully pulled all four from her hands. Then, before she took another step, he shouted for his brother and brother in law. "Adam! Bilal! Come help me carry out the cold drinks from Maleeha's car!"

Despite her being grateful for the help, she felt as if he doubted her capabilities. "I can manage, you know," she insisted.

"Other people say thank you in such situations," he replied acidly.

"Whatever," she bit out and turned her back on him as she went to get the other bottles.

"Maleeha?" one of the men said. She turned around and faced him. He looked similar to Zaakir, so she supposed it was his brother. One of the many that he had.

"Jee?" she smiled at him.

"Leave the cold drinks. Bilal and I will carry them in for you," he volunteered.

She laughed softly. "It is okay, Jazakallah. I can manage, I told Zaakir this," she added.

He laughed at her and waved a dismissive hand. "That is Zaakir for you. He will do what he wants to, irrespective of what you tell him. So, don't over think it."

She nodded, but she found that she didn't want to take his advice, because taking it would mean that she was going to be in his company more than she wanted to be. Taking his advice would mean that she was readily accepting everything that Zaakir wanted. "Jazakallah," she added and bent in the car to pull out bottles.