The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 19)

Solien --> Language of Delstaten Solen (might seem obvious but for those who wouldn't have guessed it!! xD)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t know what was normal when you were waiting for a battle to come. But I’m sure this wasn’t it!

The soldiers had lit several fires spread out in the camp right after the tents were set up. Normal since it was getting dark. What I don’t think was normal was the fact that they were singing and drinking as if the war was already over and we had won. I noticed that the knights didn’t take part in all of that as they stood on top of the hill watching over our camp and the enemy’s. Once in a while, one of them would come down and calm things down.

I found Daniel somewhere in the mess that our camp was. I stayed around him because he was one of the few that weren’t drunk already. Even if most of the men considered me a dragon knight here and not the princess of their kingdom, I felt awkwardly out of place. And I finally understood why men always said that a battlefield is not for women.

The alcohol of the wine changed the atmosphere among everyone but as soon as I went to stand by the knights the tension almost palpable. I didn’t like the feeling of it; it made me nervous and more than a little afraid of what would happen next.

Robin stayed close to me as well and I was glad about that. But once in a while he would disappear and reappear as if he had never left. I didn’t know where he went but I didn’t ask either. Zjarr was somewhere high in the sky, above the clouds so no one could see her.

At some point I found myself seated between Robin and Daniel, around one of the many fires. One of the soldiers was telling a story but I think he just made it up as he went along since it made absolutely no sense. We never got to hear the end because the man fell asleep halfway through his story. Some of his friends took care of him and brought him back to his tent. That was when Robin got up and left again.

“Where are you going?” I asked this time because I was getting kinda curious.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be back before you know it.” It was all he said but it didn’t satisfy my curiosity. I was about to get up and go after him when somebody took his place. He didn’t seem drunk nor did the cup in his right hand smell like alcohol. I moved a little closer to Daniel nevertheless.

“Good evening Princess.” The man said, turning to me with a smile. “I’m Derek. I work in the castle as well but I’m not sure if you remember.” He added.

“Are you the one who is always running around with my father’s messages?” I asked him, not entirely sure of whom he was.

He just smiled and nodded. “Yes, that is me. And that is basically why I’m here. I’ll be the messenger tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” I asked.

“The generals still think they can convince the enemy to turn around.” Derek said but he sounded hopeless.

“They won’t. I have had an encounter with Prince Ron a few days back and he is just too arrogant and pride to go back to Mataharie.”

Derek took that in and seemed to think about it for a while. “And do the generals know?” He asked after a while, still not focusing totally on me.

“I don’t know what Zjarr and Robin told them. I haven’t exactly spoken to them and General Black doesn’t seem to like me very much.” I admitted wondering if Zjarr or Robin told them about my meeting with the prince and the army in general.

“No we didn’t say a thing. If you want them to know you’ll have to go yourself.” Robin said as he reappeared from between the tents and sitting down behind me since Derek was in his spot.