The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 41)

I let out a frustrated groan as I looked over my notes. Those three lines I had found in the painting were neatly written at the top of the page. Under those were some things I had written down about my two dreams.

I had told Robin why I was out of bed last night and why I lied. At first he seemed disappointed in my but then he understood, or at least I thought so, and was fine with it. Well I hadn’t exactly told him everything because he didn’t know why I had been led to the painting or why those lines were so important.

But I didn’t see how those lines were supposed to help me, along with those dreams and whatever else I knew, to find Sofia and Ahiga. Zjarr wasn’t here but she was close enough for her to still here all my thoughts and internal rambling. I had been sitting at the table the moment Robin left; he said he had something to do and who was I to keep him from him if it meant I had time to think?

I had honestly no idea how to connect everything and it was so frustrated. Zjarr on the other hand found it very funny. “You’re looking at everything too closely and now you don’t see the obvious anymore.” She said. “What does everything have in common?”

I had no idea what I was looking for and I was too annoyed to search for a proper response so I said the first thing that came to mind, “Sand.”

“Exactly. There is your clue. Sand. Lots and lots of sand.”

“What, you mean the Desert?” I asked unbelievingly.

“Yes. Every single thing you know about Sofia is somehow related to sand. Now you figure the rest.” And with that she stopped talking.

I thought about it. It just seemed too easy, and when things are too easy it’s either a trap or not the right answer. But I could see what she was on about now. The story she had told the soldiers in the second dream was about how she liked to build sand castle and that she planned on building a big one. And to build a big sand castle you need lots of sand. What the book of lost knights had told me was the she covered the back part of the army somewhere in the Desert. But the Desert was huge. And it would be madness to scan every inch of that death trap.

The first dream, the one where Sofia went crashing down, had to help somehow. Maybe that had been the last battle, the one where she disappeared. I had seen the Desert down below but there was no way of telling where it had been because it had been dark and could have been anywhere.

Under the sweet golden sand,

A cave hidden within,

The final resting place.

“Sweet golden sand. Sweet golden sand. Why does that sound familiar? Sweet golden sand.” I sighed. It sounded so damn familiar but why.

Okay let’s begin with golden sand. Where could you find sand the color of gold? The sand in Delstaten Solen and Fructus Terre was white like snow. But everywhere else it was just the normal beige-ish color except for some points in Rubis where ashes turned the sand black.

The sand in an hourglass looked golden. Most of the hourglasses were made in Sable Sucré but I didn’t know if the sand there was golden or if it was simply some sort of magic or a coloration given by the glass.

“Sweet golden sand. Sweet gol… Sweet!” Sweet as in sugar. Sugar was sweet. Sucré meant sugary. Maybe it was Sable Sucré. Sable meant sand and although I didn’t know if the sand was really golden it seemed the best option right now. Sweet golden sand; Sable Sucré. It made sense to me but it still didn’t help me find a precise location.

“A cave hidden within… within what?” That was even harder. Within what? A hill? A mountain? Even within a tree was possible; it wouldn’t surprise me after the time I spent here in the Elfique Forest. But I didn’t remember learning anything about mountains in Sable Sucré; what I had learned was that Sable Sucré was one big pit of sand with only lands useable for agriculture around the borders. So hills seemed just as unlikely.