The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 29)

So let's start with these two words of vocabulary

Brunn fugl --> it's Norwegian for fire bird

bønn --> Norwegian for prayer. The word is pronounced like 'bun', the one you tie your hair in... the o with a / through it is pronounced like the 'u' in 'bun'

And I hope you all still remember what Dszungel means (jungle in Hongarian), it's the temple all the way in the beginning of the story =)

Anyway, Enjoy the chapter!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just like Robin had said we would, we suck out of the tavern before dawn. We tried to make as less sound as possible but the wooden floors creaked and cracked with every step we took. The horses were sleeping as well when we reached the stables at the back of the tavern but they woke up quickly enough. We left the village by foot, only getting on the horses once we were somewhere in the fields.

When I asked Zjarr if she was following us she told us she would catch up later; she was sleeping and not clearly not want to be woken up. I followed Robin as he headed south toward Perlog. It didn’t take long before the sound of water was audible.

We reached the river just before dawn, the first rays of sun daring to sneak out above the horizon. At the exact spot where we stopped, the river Perlog split in two to create the smooth course of Vidiecky going west and the stronger currents of Taragménos, which were going north. In the little light that the pre-dawn brought us, we followed the river upstream in eastern direction.

Once the sun was up and its rays reached the surface of the river it became clear why it was called Perlog. On the bottom, visible through the clear water, where the soft white and pink colored stones that shone like pearls. The light fish I was able to see were a silver color but their color gradually changed to something more blue or green and sometimes even golden as we got higher and higher upstream.

At some point Robin gave me a piece of bread which I took gratefully. Once I was finished with eating Robin sped up and I followed him. I had had a good night rest and was sure I could stay in saddle for several more hours before I really needed a stop.

The sun hadn’t even reached it highest point when the trees of the Elfique Forest came into view. I was sure if I had been paying closer attention to my surroundings that I would have seen them earlier. They were far from being the size of the Salji Mountains, but these were threes, no mountains. And yet, they were tall enough to compare them to small mountains. The sigh was breathtaking and the closer we got, the higher the trees became.

It was noon when we reached the beginning of the forest. Robin slowed Forest down to a slow pace and I did the same, trusting Bruin to follow them as I looked up at the trees. As we stopped at the roots of the first trees, I was basically lying on my back to see the top of the trees. It seemed endless.

Robin whistled and surprised I turned to look at him, confused. When he saw my expression he burst into laughter. What made him laugh that hard was a mystery and I waited for him to call down before asking.

“I’ve been calling your name for a minute or two and you just didn’t react. I take it you’re impressed?” I nodded as I followed his gesture and got of my horse. We had a quick meal and Robin let me admire the trees in silence for a few more minutes.

“I don’t see why you would want to leave.” I said, never looking away from the green in front of me. “Or your father for that matter since he probably took the decision.”

“He had his reasons, and I agreed with it.” His voice sounded not exactly sad but not far from it either, a bit strained. When I turned around and looked at him, his head rested on one of his hands. He hadn’t moved, still sitting there, on the grass, legs crossed, one elbow resting on his knee. He was looked at the ground as his other hand moved slowly over the grass. For the minute that I watched him, the grass grew a few centimeters.