The Awakening of the Legend (Chapter 26)

He hadn’t realized that his castle was so far away from where he grew up. They had been forced to stop in the desert because sleeping on a dragon’s back was not a good idea. Fylkir had had no trouble sleeping in the sands of the desert but than again, be had his roots in one of the many desert tribes.

He himself had staying seated against Nidhug’s flank for a long while, watching the stars, thinking about the time that had passed. Several hundred years, he didn’t know how many exactly. Things had changed, he was sure of it. Nothing ever stops changing.

Slowly the sky started lighting up in the east and he realized he hadn’t slept the entire night. He woke up Fylkir and they continued to fly west. Around noon he started feeling something. It was strange but he could tell that it wasn’t something good that he was feeling.

Soon, as Nidhug flew over the clouds he heard the sound of battle and caught a glimpse of something red below them. Nidhug’s reaction told him it must have been a dragon but he kept the Tlachinolli in control and forced him to keep flying.

As the sun began to set, he saw the sea for the first time in many many years. The mountains seemed closer to the sea as he remembered and they seemed higher as well. They seemed more elegant, dressed with their eternal snow covered peaks. Their flanks were covered with trees and as they gradually got closer, he could make out a city in the middle of the trees, covering quite some space between the sea and the mountains.

Not to far upwards, toward the mountains was a castle. Built in light stone, its towers looked out over everything that surrounded the castle. The courtyard was enclosed by stone walls where a lot of people were gathered.

In his mind he told Nidhug to find a clearing in the forest, not too close to town. The black dragon found one soon enough and let his riders climb off easily. As Soon as he was on the ground he used his magic to create a horse out of the shadows that surrounded him. Nidhug instantly smelled the new creature and turned away from it, indignant that his knight would rather ride something that small instead of him.

He himself paid no attention to the dragon’s reaction. It would be foolish of him to think that he could go into town with Nidhug and don’t suffer any consequences for it. He got on the horse’s back and pulled Fylkir on the beast as well. Again he used magic to make his way to the city because he hadn’t been here for several hundred year, Tien knows what had changed.

As he thought the name of his country’s Goddess, he wondered why. He had pulled himself out of the Goddess grip a long time ago, when fate had decided to play a cruel trick on him. He wondered what had happened to her. Had she been happy? Or had she suffered of the same grief as he had? Secretly he hoped that she had done everything she could to go against her father but she had never been one to defy her father’s will.

But now that the spell had been lifted of him, as soon as he had rid himself of the girl and her prophecy, he could take his revenge.

The black horse followed the magic trail he had created for it, straight to the city. He didn’t know where he needed to go but the horse just kept on going to the heart of the city, the market place. Women were walking around with buckets of water and clothes, children running around, laughing. The place was decorated with flowers and chicken, ducks and geese paraded through the place.

He got of the horse and lifted Fylkir of as well and made sure the little creature was hidden under his cloak. He held his horse by his reigns and started walking around. Soon two little girls stopped in front of him and looked up with big round eyes.

“Hello. Do you want us to take care your horse?” The first asked.

“We always take care of everybody’s horses, even the princess’.” The second filled in.