Chapter 14

Phil's POV-6 months later

We ended up leaving about a month before I had originally been planning. Dan's publisher was anxious to begin work and both of us were ready to leave. My parents had become wonderful at running the restaurant and I couldn't wait to come back and visit them soon. We had found an apartment about a month ago and our lease started today. Dan was still keeping his place here, so we could have a place to visit or move back to, but most of his stuff had long been packed for moving.

"Phil!" Dan grinned as he opened the door on the morning of the move. He wrapped me in a big hug, practically spinning me around before giving me a big kiss.

"Someone's a little excited," I couldn't help but grin too.

"Oh come on Phil," Dan pulled my sleeve to get my help loading the last few of the things he was taking in the car, "We're starting our new official life together in a brand new city today. How could I not be excited?"

I love him so much, I thought as we carried out the boxes. Dan was so right. This was the most exciting thing. I was finally going to be able to live out my dreams, only now there would be a person alongside me who would undoubtedly make them even better than I ever could have hoped for.

Once the last boxes were loaded up we drove the couple blocks back to the restaurant so we could say one last goodbye to my parents before leaving. They had insisted on saying goodbye to both of us on the morning of the move.

"Dan!" My mum exclaimed happily as we entered the restaurant. He also got a few hellos from some of the other regulars at the restaurant, they all recognized him after all the time he had spent here. Dan and I had quickly realised that while I had to work that didn't mean Dan couldn't be at the restaurant. So most days he would bring his writing and I would talk to him every break I got.

"Are you sure you've got everything?" My Dad fretted softly, giving Dan and I each a hug.

"Yeah, we've tripled checked," Dan said happily. I don't think I had seen his smile leave his face yet today.

"Be safe," My mum reminded, also giving her hugs, "It is a big city after all."

"I'll make sure to keep Dan safe," I teased, wrapping my arm around his waist and pulling him close now that my parents were done with their hugs.

"Oh like you could fight off anyone," Dan teased back.

"You boys really are perfect for each other," My mum said kindly, continuing before I could interject, "And we don't want to hold you up any longer."

"We'll call once we get there," I said, still having trouble believing this was actually happening.

"And visit soon," My dad said, his eyes crinkling with a soft smile.

"We will," Dan promised, as we went to the door.

"Love you," I waved goodbye to my parents.

"Bye," they responded as happily as could have been expected.

And Dan and I left the restaurant. It felt so odd to leave knowing that I wouldn't be back there for work in the morning. Yet as I looked behind me through the window and saw my parents happily chatting to some of the many customers, I knew that everything I had done to help my grandmother was worth it. Her restaurant had been restored to everything it should be, and she had given me Dan.

"Ready?" I asked Dan once we had gotten in the car, sitting before I turned the engine on.

"So ready," Dan leaned over to kiss my cheek.

"Remember when you did that after our first date?" I laughed, as I turned on the car, satisfied that Dan was ready.

"Oh God," Dan hide his face in his hands, "We must never talk of that. That was so horrible."

"Or how about the time you were staring at me from across the street," I teased as I pulled out into the street and began driving down the road.

"We already agreed to forget about that one," Dan hit my arm, his cheeks flaming red, "Besides you were the one who winked."

"Hey! Don't hit the driver," I argued playfully back.

"Okay well then how about we talk about the time that you..."

So we drove away from the small town that I had come to love, arguing about all the horribly awkward things we had done throughout our relationship. Neither of us could keep smiles off our faces and everything felt blissfully optimistic. We were with the person we loved most, headed towards our new life together. What could be better?