25

Vin and Robert were talking quietly in registration when there was a soft knock on the door, and Callum slipped inside. He spoke with Miss Linney for a moment, before he beckoned to Vin.

Vin followed him out into the hall, curious. Callum had never come to his form room before. "What's wrong?"

"My dad's in the office." Callum hissed.

"What?"

"The office rang my form room and said my dad wanted to see me immediately."

"Is it definitely him?"

Callum nodded. "His photo's on my file. They'd check before they rang, in case he wasn't who he said he was."

"Alright..." Vin paused for a moment, considering. "Wait here." Vin slid back into his form room. "Miss Linney, I've got to take Callum home. He's not very well."

"Why can't his parents collect him?"

"They're away on business," said Vin quickly. "Callum's staying with me and my aunt while they're away. My aunt would collect him but she's a work. She's a policewoman."

Miss Linney frowned at him for a moment, before she nodded. "I'll have your teachers informed."

Vin nodded. "Robert, could you come and get my history homework from my locker and hand it in for me, please?"

Robert nodded in surprise, and followed Vin and Callum down the hall.

Vin quickly fetched his homework and gave it to Robert. "Listen," said Vin urgently. "I need you to run down to the office and find the man who's waiting there, alright?"

"What's going on?" Asked Robert. “You’re not sick,” he frowned at Callum.

"His dad's waiting to take him home in the office, and Callum can't go with him. He's been living with me and my aunt for two months. His parents have been running from the police, who want to arrest them both for abuse."

Robert looked at Callum in surprise.

"It's true." Callum said earnestly. "He broke my arm."

Robert nodded quickly.

"Tell the guy something like... I don't know... Callum's in a meeting with one of his teachers about his coursework. His history coursework. You're in his class, and you heard he was wanted in the office, so you thought you'd come and let him know. That'll buy us some time to get home. His dad was a teacher; he'll understand." Vin said quickly.

"Alright." Robert shoved Vin's homework into his bag and ran off to the office.

Vin collected his rucksack and went back to Callum. "Come on."

The pair crept down the stairs and left school through the back gate, taking the long route to the car park. Vin could feel Callum shaking beside him as they hurried. He reached across and squeezed the boy’s hand reassuringly. "Ring my aunt," said Vin, as he started his car. "Tell her what happened. With any luck, the police will get here before he leaves."

Vin pulled into his driveway and switched the engine off.

Callum seemed to be in a state of shock.

Vin took his bag from him and let him inside the house. "I'll take your bag upstairs. You go and sit down." He told Callum gently.

When he came back downstairs, Callum was still in the kitchen, looking rather lost. "Come on." Vin guided him into the living room and sat him on the sofa. "Do you want a drink?" Vin asked.

Callum shrugged.

Vin sighed and fetched a glass of water.

Callum drank it in one go. "Thanks." He said after a moment. "For helping me out."

Vin squeezed his shoulder gently. He waited quietly for a few minutes, keeping his hand on Callum's shoulder.

Gradually, Callum's eyes closed, and he slumped back on the sofa, asleep.

Vin picked the unconscious boy up and carried him to his bedroom. He tucked Callum in and went back down to the living room to wait for his aunt.

Leda came in almost an hour later, and called for Vin. He went through to the kitchen, where she was pouring a glass of water.

"What happened? Did you arrest him?" Vin demanded eagerly.

"Yes. His wife was waiting around the corner, and tried to run when she saw the officers. We got her too. They've been arrested, and are being questioned by Wilkins now. I came back to see how you two were. Where's Callum?" Leda finally noticed he wasn't with Vin.

"He's asleep, upstairs."

"Asleep? I thought he'd want to hear the news."

"He did. But I think he was in shock, so I slipped him a couple of the sleeping tables you have left over from you last visit to the doctor."

"You drugged him?"

"Only slightly," said Vin defensively. "He's still alive. He just looked helpless, so I thought he'd be better off asleep until you came back with answers."

Leda stared at him for a moment, before she burst out laughing. "You realise he'll kill you when he wakes up." She said.

Vin shrugged. "He'll just be happy about his parents."